Still with their winter tires on

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's July
It's 30C out
...and I still see lots of people with winter tires on their cars
mad.gif

A guy I work with runs winter tires all year on his 2wd GMC Sierra 1500. He's done this for the past few years and said he hasn't had any problems.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
A guy I work with runs winter tires all year on his 2wd GMC Sierra 1500. He's done this for the past few years and said he hasn't had any problems.
21.gif

It's just a waste of soft compound snow tires.
They are less effective as they wear.
I hate seeing it too.

Back in my poorer days, I would buy the cheapest used car I could find that was still drivable and drive it until it wasn't. If it came with snow tires, I'd use them and drive it until it finally died, and then buy another $500 car.

I've been noticing it here too. 80+ degrees in July and they're running snow tires. By the time the "big snow" hits those things will be bald. Also, they don't perform very well in warm temps and wear quickly...makes you wonder.

You should see here in Quebec since winter tires are mandatory... in winter. Nothing in the law forces you to put all seasons for the summer.

Many cheap drivers are now buying winter tires only.

I won't deny on my Cavalier, I drove around with winters on it in the summer, as it was hard to afford two sets of tires.

I've got a good pair of definetly summer-only tires on the Tribute now, so it will be getting a quality set of winters this November, and I'll save these summers to see if I can get another year out of them.

30°C?

When I started my car the other day, my ambient temp read 118°F. I didn't like that number so for grins and hahas I pushed the conversion button. It read 47°C. That felt better.
lol.gif
(It did settle back down to 40°C.)

The tree service next door has studded winter tires on their Ranger. (or had...the studs have been long gone) They've been running those tires for over a year now. I can't even imagine how greasy and terrible those things are when it's 105°F out.

My brother ran his winters all year after losing his job...the tires (Nexens) almost made it to the next winter...almost...it got up to 36*C that summer which was the same summer we went down to Las Vegas area where it was 46*C, my kids out out of the air conditioned car and just started crying because it was too hot. It would take a while for me to get acclimated to that kind of heat...felt like a hot full body kick as soon as we stepped out.

I actually bought some used snow tires for the Tracker for summer this year. $20 each is hard to beat and they are a cheap stud-able tire so the compound isn't super soft. Mileage has been around the 28-30mpg mark like it was with the scary no-season tires I took off.
These ones also have 2 sidewall plies which is odd for a snowtire and I like having a tread pattern that works on grass with out having to buy $600+ in off road tires... Most all season tires seem to be basicially 4 or 5 ribs, which don't work well on wet grass at all...

kb01 I have a buddy that does that. He's actually had good luck with the car he has now. Only and alternator and brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a GMC safari work van a few years back; I think I paid $375 for it. when it needed tires (I discovered the all seasons on it had deep tread but were hard as a rock)I put cheap 'wintermark' winter tires on it and ran it until the summer when I sold the van.
it wasn't anymore squeamish in the dry w/ them than the all seasons, in fact it was better and quieter. but mainly I couldn't afford to get another set of tires for a cheap work van.

ignorance is one thing; desperation is another.

My Bridgestone Potenza Grids are hard as freaking rocks but have surprisingly good winter traction because of the tread pattern. Cupped like a son of a gun though after 6 months creating a ton of road noise, warranty wouldn't cover.

But times are tough, some people simply can't afford different tires or are just too lazy to get them swapped.

Maybe running the useful life out of them after the useful winter life is gone? that is what I usually do. it works well, but they definately dont handle like the a/s tires do.

Just came back from the USVI (tropics). Many people run snow tires there for the soft grippy compound. MIL has tens of thousands of miles on the goodrich snows on her camry...

I'm running mine year round on my minivan...why???

2 reasons -

1. We live down a 15 mile dirt road that easily turns to mud in the summer rain storms

2. Our Hankook W409's (NO studs) have superb traction, great highway riding tires, and they were cheaper then any all season tire that could give the same traction capability for our dirt roads in the farming area where we live.

I'm not seeing ANY sign of faster wear then any other normal all season tire honestly, we have 15k miles on them now, they still look brand-new.

The cheapest, yet good quality tire we could find, all season, was only $5 less per tire, but didn't have nearly the same traction rating....and I personally didn't have the funds, nor see the point in buying 2 sets of tires....have no place to store another set, and this van probably only sees 6-8k miles a year at most.

Originally Posted By: volvos_rock
Maybe running the useful life out of them after the useful winter life is gone? that is what I usually do. it works well, but they definately dont handle like the a/s tires do.

Lots of folks up North take the same approach. Once you get to 6/32 tread depth, the winter performance degrades rapidly. Wear those winter tires the rest of the way out in the summer and get a fresh set in the fall...

Here's a Conti product description, "When the ExtremeWinterContact is approximately 50 percent worn, a winter tread depth indicator molded into the design lets the driver know that the remaining tread is reaching the end of its ability to provide beneficial snow traction." which implies that at that tread depth, you are now running an all season tire with soft rubber...so, wear it out in the summer? makes sense to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back