Plugged tyre runs hotter and higher pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BetaBear
Patches are unsafe when they are done on W or higher rated tires or within 1" of the sidewall. When either of these are present, we replace the tire.

Would it be safer for me to drive at 70 mph on a patched S-rated tire than my patched Y-rated tire?

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Patches are unsafe when they are done on W or higher rated tires or within 1" of the sidewall. When either of these are present, we replace the tire.

Would it be safer for me to drive at 70 mph on a patched S-rated tire than my patched Y-rated tire?

No of course not... But... As BetaBear has stated,
"First off, Being an automotive technician myself".

I would think that that makes him a professional parts salesman as well.

So, Stuff Happens, and if you got the tires? You must have some money.

LOLz, Jim

Sorry, should rephrase that.

It is not safe to patch a W group rated tire because the patch will not hold up to the tire's alloted speed rating.

Therefore, we do not patch these tires because the plug isn't up to the tires speed standard, and is a huge liability.
smile.gif

We also don't fix tires with just a plug. Pull the tire off, put it in the tire holder, and patch/plug from the inside of the tire out. I'd only use those plug/rubber cement kits in a pinch to get to a shop and get it fully repaired.

If they just patched it without demounting the tire... That's just quick shotty work there. Like those cheap alignment places that just "Set the toe and collect the doe". If you paid for a 4 wheel alignment, you should get the whole alignment. Just like if you paid for a patch job, you should get a full patch job, not just a "Plug it and go".

A plug and patch reinforces the area where the hole was. The plug fills the area with new rubber and helps seal the hole. The thick patch on the back is about 2" in diameter and almost 1/4" thick that goes over the 1/8" hole that screw or nail just made. It is attached to the rubber plug stem you pull through, and this 2" plug gets vulcanized to the rubber on the back of the tire. This reinforces the tire, and then you seal it by running a special tool over it.

The difference between the plug you get for bike tires and for emergency kits like in the 'Slime' kits, vs. the patch/plug I've described is that one reinforces the area, while the other doesn't and merely seals the tire from air escaping.

Last edited:
From the photo, I do not see a problem with the plug. However, something is not known here is how far have you run the tire when it is flat ? I think that will give better information on whether the tire construction itself has been damaged before you plug the tire. If you never drive it when it flat, and you straight away replace with spare tire then it may not give problem, but if it punctures, and you keep driving for a while, there may cause a problem especially if the tire is steel-belted.

The damage was from a screw and I picked up a very slow deflation over a period of weeks, though weekly pressure checks (maybe 2 or so PSI per week). It was never run below the placard pressure.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
The damage was from a screw and I picked up a very slow deflation over a period of weeks, though weekly pressure checks (maybe 2 or so PSI per week). It was never run below the placard pressure.

Well it seems more like psychological issue, may be if you deflate all four, swap the rear-left and rear-right and measure again that may help to give you piece of mind
smile.gif
or firm push factor to get a new one

Sorry, should rephrase that.

It is not safe to patch a W group rated tire because the patch will not hold up to the tire's alloted speed rating.

Therefore, we do not patch these tires because the plug isn't up to the tires speed standard, and is a huge liability.
smile.gif

Yeah, I'm just busting your balls on the wording. But it does seem like a shame to replace a good tire just because it's no longer capable of autobahn speeds. Couldn't you just make them sign something saying they're aware that the tire is no longer suitable for speeds over 149 mph?

In my case, you could just look at the car and know that it's not capable of exceeding 130 mph anyway!

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf

I've got Y-rated tires on a car capable of H-rated speed. It doesn't mean I have a bunch of money to throw away; it means I believed they were the best tires I could get for my driving conditions.

.....Couldn't you just make them sign something saying they're aware that the tire is no longer suitable for speeds over 149 mph?.......

Ok, I am not a lawyer, but there's a principle in law - and I'm sure it has a Latin name - that says that one can not sign away ones's rights. Specifically, someone who is knowledgeable about a subject has the responsbility to forsee possible events and prevent them (if possible), and the blame can not be shifted to a a non-knowledgeable person by a "warning" - either verbal or in writing.

Needless to say this complicates any repair of any opject.

I've got Y-rated tires on a car capable of H-rated speed. It doesn't mean I have a bunch of money to throw away; it means I believed they were the best tires I could get for my driving conditions.

And Your Point Is?

Go back and read my entire post, and congrats on getting the bang for yer buck.

Jim

And Your Point Is?

Go back and read my entire post, and congrats on getting the bang for yer buck.

I'd guess that was a continuation on the comment about being a tire salesman. But it doesn't change the way I would argue against that reasoning!

Of course, I wouldn't bother arguing with a tire shop employee that wouldn't fix my tire because it's too good of a tire. I'd simply leave and never return.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Ok, I am not a lawyer, but there's a principle in law - and I'm sure it has a Latin name - that says that one can not sign away ones's rights. Specifically, someone who is knowledgeable about a subject has the responsbility to forsee possible events and prevent them (if possible), and the blame can not be shifted to a a non-knowledgeable person by a "warning" - either verbal or in writing.

Needless to say this complicates any repair of any opject.

I could be wrong, but I don't think driving at 150 mph is considered a right! Regardless, I see liability waivers all the time for other things. Why not this?

Is 149 mph an industry standard for the maximum speed that repaired tires should be operated?

I forgot about the electronic governor. My car is actually only T-rated!

I don't even know whether it's common for tire shops to deny repair services on higher quality tires. I've always just plugged my own tires. I guess if absolutely nobody would repair it, I wouldn't be able to blacklist every tire shop.

Yeah, I'm just busting your balls on the wording. But it does seem like a shame to replace a good tire just because it's no longer capable of autobahn speeds. Couldn't you just make them sign something saying they're aware that the tire is no longer suitable for speeds over 149 mph?

In my case, you could just look at the car and know that it's not capable of exceeding 130 mph anyway!

Also should note that I am not a "normal" tech. They call it a production tech where I'm at. My job is to inspect vehicles to be quality certified for used sale. I find problems wrong with cars the Dealership buys to sell. the Tech's are split into two groups, production and retail. Production builds the used vehicles the business will sell to customers, whereas retail works on customer's vehicles that have been brought in for maintenance and repairs. So I don't work with the customer's often.

I'm not quite sure what they do in the situation a customer comes in with a tire and needs a patch, but is a high speed rated tire. In production, if I get say a BMW or Corvette, and it has a punctured tire, We'll just order a new tire because we won't sell a vehicle to a customer with a patched W or Z rated tire.

But seriously, who drives to a dealership to get a tire repaired? Not many. Not anyone I know of anyway
smile.gif

That makes sense, being a dealership and selling these cars with high performance tires.

I have had a patch done to my last set of 255/45R18 on my Vic. W-Rated. I wasnt worried about it as I cannot go over the 108 governor anyway and if I could the driveshaft would bust the output of the transmission off much above 120 or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back