3 diff. labs with samples taken frm the same bott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 I suspect additive separation as the cause. Additive separation is a know issue. For a virgin sample, one needs to mix very well to obtain valid results.

If that is true, then UOAs must also be gathered in the same careful, mixed fashion. My 2 cents is that most of the data in these VOAs and UOAs is suspect at this point, and probably a waste of time and money if very controlled methods were not used.
I love reading and discussing and talking oil, but I think the OCD over this has got to the point where the "data" is highly suspect in many of these threads.
Not giving up the oil obsession, just not worrying about what a lot of gets posted is all
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I suspect additive separation as the cause. Additive separation is a know issue. For a virgin sample, one needs to mix very well to obtain valid results.

Eddie, if you are referring to my original virgin samples you can rest easy as all the samples came from the same bottle and I did shake it thoroughly each time.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: Trav

The way this looks it appears that some of these labs may be pulling numbers either from manufacturers spec sheets

FWIW I purposely did not tell Wearcheck the brand or viscosity of oil.
Good idea.....in fact, this had me curious too, when I was getting ready to do my UOA from my Kia Optima fill of Pennzoil 5-30 (previously ran ST 5-30 with Seafoam, so POSSIBLE Seafoam trace(s) still in the Pennzoil?)....I was curious why so many questions were asked.

OK, mileage on the oil I can understand for documentation purposes, but additives used, what brand oil used, what weight oil used, etc. IMHO, should not matter at all....sounds too "personal" - so I never filled it in.

Well, that car got in a wreck, so I never bothered getting the UOA anyways, since it wouldn't have helped anyways (the radiator got smashed into the engine, lol....so new engine called for anyways if someone ever decided to "piece it back together").

But yea, shouldn't the LAB be able to tell what oil is being sampled, and if any additives were used?

They must get a load of samples in, surely eventually (if not already) they should be close to knowing what oil brand/weight is from a sample?

Or am I dreaming? :)

In the realm of things...

Blackstone WAS consistent with their analyses, which shows they are consistent in their analytical methodology. That shows me that they would be somewhat reliable for trending purposes.

All three labs were within the same order of magnitude, which is well within accepted "noise" so-to-speak. It could also be related to different instruments or different analytical methods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pickled
3 of the main Polaris labs are, and I typically only send my samples to a single location within their system.

http://polarislabs1.com/iso-17025.php

Ive been using Polaris Labs in Columbus OH for 15 years. I was using them when I could only access them through Shell (They didnt do retail). Never had a problem with them. CAT 3460E - 1.25 Million Miles - 30,000 mile OCI - Chevron Delo 400 (Numerous Flavors).

PS Im aware of the irony of using Shell to get Chevron tested.

Originally Posted By: revupVQ
I hang out where Terry is much more-so than here.....

Post or PM me a link. thanks

How can you spot a trend if the VOA's are very inconsistent? If they can't get that right what use is the UOA?
Like you I'd like to be able to use this stuff but the numbers tell the truth....don't waste your $$.

Last edited:
Another words you can't believe what you see? Please you should run for President.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317

Blackstone WAS consistent with their analyses, which shows they are consistent in their analytical methodology. That shows me that they would be somewhat reliable for trending purposes.

All three labs were within the same order of magnitude, which is well within accepted "noise" so-to-speak. It could also be related to different instruments or different analytical methods.

Indeed. The only "trending" these reports are good for is the labs' quarterly balance sheets.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the labs don't have shills here to cry "trending!" whenever yet more evidence of the worthlessness of their reports surfaces.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: elwaylite
I think Ill spend my $99 with Dyson.

He uses Blackstone!

No, he does not. Having used Terry's service many times, I know the address the samples go to and it has nothing to do with Blackstone.

What I do wonder about if he in some way uses Polaris ... i.e. samples go to a common and close by address and then are dropped at the Polaris door step.

OAI I feel is the BEST value, period. This is the Amsoil offering which is simply private label Polaris.

As Pablo has stated Polaris is ISO certified.

Originally Posted By: SailingWJ
Another words you can't believe what you see? Please you should run for President.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317

You mean "In other words", correct?

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: elwaylite
I think Ill spend my $99 with Dyson.

He uses Blackstone!

No, he does not. Having used Terry's service many times, I know the address the samples go and it has nothing to do with Blackstone.

What I do wonder about if he in some way uses Polaris ... i.e. samples go to a common and close by address and then are dropped at the Polaris door step.

OAI I feel is the BEST value, period. This is the Amsoil offering which is simply private label Polaris.

As Pablo has stated Polaris is ISO certified.
Terry doesn't use Polaris aka OAI lol. MRT Laboratories is real, Google it
wink.gif

Last I've heard/read, when you send off a sample to "Blackstone" it may actually get "sent off" to another lab to be tested, so there's no guarantee the same lab/tech is actually testing the same sample(s) each and every time.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
^^ Where did you get/read this... Please share.

Not sure what you mean
confused2.gif

Last edited:
This from the Blackstone site;

"We have some of these tests performed at a different facility. For that reason, it can take longer to get results for some of these specialized tests. If you are concerned with turnaroud time, please call us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back