Motorcraft FL1995

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wix version is 2/20=10/30 and 19 nominal.

I think those are accurate numbers and the only time I've seen them is on that brochure. I've used the Wix or the MC on my 6.9L IDI and it makes a nice upgrade, both in capacity and filtration.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky
Anyone else see the flyer below:

http://archiesfordstore.com/Diesel_Oil_Reference_Sheet.pdf

Is the FL1995 really an 18 micron oil filter? I thought it was 20 @ 60% and absolute around 35. Did they change suppliers or is there another MC filter for the 7.3?

The spec sheet says:
"Traps at least 98% of particles 18 microns or larger from your oil"

That's a pretty good beta/efficiency rating. Wonder if all Motorcraft filters are that good, or if this is for the 7.3L Engine filters. Note the efficiency rating is specified as not as good for the 6.0L Engine.

For automotive applications, Motorcraft has always stated "80% at 20 microns" efficiency, which is nothing to get excited about.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Is the FL1995 really an 18 micron oil filter? I thought it was 20 @ 60% and absolute around 35. Did they change suppliers or is there another MC filter for the 7.3?

The spec sheet says:

That's a pretty good beta/efficiency rating. Wonder if all Motorcraft filters are that good, or if this is for the 7.3L Engine filters. Note the efficiency rating is specified as not as good for the 6.0L Engine.

For automotive applications, Motorcraft has always stated "80% at 20 microns" efficiency, which is nothing to get excited about.

Yeah I was under the impression it was around that efficeny too. If that is the case the 10 dollar or so FL1995 is the best bang for the buck you can get.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The spec sheet says:

Yeah I was under the impression it was around that efficeny too. If that is the case the 10 dollar or so FL1995 is the best bang for the buck you can get.

I work in the warehouse of an oil distributor, and all employees get extreme discounts on product. On a friends last day working there, I suggested he stock up on filters for his PSD. We went and looked at the Motorcraft filter, which was $9.95, and we looked at the Pennzoil PZ49, Performax PO49 and Valvoline VO-63 oil filters. They are all 4 made by Purolator, and they all looked exactly identical. The Valvoline filter was just slightly more than 1/2 as expensive as the Motorcraft, and the Pennzoil and Performax (a Pennzoil brand) were just slightly more than that.

I see no need to use the Motorcraft branded filter in this particular case. Find a local oil distributor and buy a case of one of the above part numbers.

Te HEUI of the PSD prefers cleaner oil and that's why Ford likely spec'ed a better filter. In general, I think that fitlers with a specific application (that part number really only fits Navistar engines of a certain bloodline), the aftermarket manufacturer usually follows the filtration guidelines of the engine mfr, but it looks like the MC is better than the Wix, depending on which test they used.

The 6.0L uses a cartridge filter, so it's a dfferent annimal.

Here are the latest K&N Filter Specs for a K&N NP-6001 (Ford Powerstroke Filter):

10 um- 53.1 %
20 um- 95.4 %
30 um- 99.9 %
Capacity- 55.4 grams
Hydrostatic Burst- 558 psi
Element Collapse- 175 psid
Flow Rate- 20 GPM (J-806)

Assuming I did it right, here are the Betas- 10/20/30=2.1/21.7/1000

Last edited:
Doesn't totally shock me that MC is better than Wix, Wix to me is a middle of the road filter. I am more of a baldwin, donaldson or Fleetguard fan but at 10 bucks at Wally World looks like the MC is the clear winner. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back