'22 Crosstrek 2.5k OCI, M1 ESP 0W-30 ; two different lab reports

Well two weeks later than Horizon, I finally got my Blackstone results. No surprise, Blackstone said no fuel dilution and Horizon said 3.2%! 🤦‍♂️ Interestingly enough, Blackstone showed my viscosity quite a bit lower than Horizon. 🤷‍♂️ Looking at previous threads on here, it appears that Blackstone viscosity numbers are often low, just like fuel dilution. Everything else on the wear metals looked almost identical but the additive numbers were different. The only reason I submitted a sample to both labs was I wanted a particle count done to see how my Fram Ultra oil filter did and Horizon refuses to do particle counts on used engine oil. Looks like the Fram did quite well! I will send another sample to both labs at next oil change and at same OCI because now I'm running a K&P reusable "35 micron" stainless mesh oil filter. I will be using Blackstone for another particle count to prove or disprove the naysayers of this oil filter's efficiency. Should be interesting.😎 I will of course post both results in 2-3 months when I do the next oil change. I know this has been beaten to death on here, but if you are concerned about getting accurate fuel dilution results, DO NOT use Blackstone! Not sure if they are often off on viscosities also?🤷‍♂️
IMG_2376.jpeg

IMG_2375.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2375.jpeg
    IMG_2375.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Funny, Oil Analyzers should know that M1 ESP 0W30 starts with a high virgin oxidation and not flag it as an issue. But they want you to pay for a virgin analysis of the oil before they will say it's okay. Interesting that the fuel dilution is so high on the OA result when the flashpoint is >400 on the BS result. I'm guessing the virgin flashpoint of M1 ESP is much higher than typical, so BS's estimate of fuel dilution will be even more off than usual. I've also noticed low viscosity results on BS tests recently.

Thank you for sharing both of these!

Funny, Oil Analyzers should know that M1 ESP 0W30 starts with a high virgin oxidation and not flag it as an issue. But they want you to pay for a virgin analysis of the oil before they will say it's okay. Interesting that the fuel dilution is so high on the OA result when the flashpoint is >400 on the BS result. I'm guessing the virgin flashpoint of M1 ESP is much higher than typical, so BS's estimate of fuel dilution will be even more off than usual. I've also noticed low viscosity results on BS tests recently.

Thank you for sharing both of these!
Yeah OA had me nervous when they flagged oxidation! This was the first time using ESP but a number of guys on here set me straight on high oxidation being normal for this oil.🤙

Very good. I'll wait to see your PC results on the reusable oil filter. I would assume we will see more of the bigger particles but that doesn't mean failure by any means. This oil looks like it has good synthetic base oil. Thanks!

Yeah OA had me nervous when they flagged oxidation! This was the first time using ESP but a number of guys on here set me straight on high oxidation being normal for this oil.🤙
Here's the virgin results of this oil:

Here's the virgin results of this oil:
Looks like the Magnesium here is 129-147 on this UOA & 9ppm on the link you listed. I would think that is more than standard variation since Oil Analyzers tested both of these oils in this example. Not a big deal just noticed that.

Very good. I'll wait to see your PC results on the reusable oil filter. I would assume we will see more of the bigger particles but that doesn't mean failure by any means. This oil looks like it has good synthetic base oil. Thanks!
Yeah I do not expect the reusable oil filter to be as good as the Fram Ultra but if it is close and everything looks good I may use it permanently after my supply of Ultras and Titaniums are depleted. I did use it for one OCI on a previous OCI and everything on the wear metal side looked good but I did not do a particle count on it. That's why I'm running it again to see how it looks with a PC.

Looks like the Magnesium here is 129-147 on this UOA & 9ppm on the link you listed. I would think that is more than standard variation since Oil Analyzers tested both of these oils in this example. Not a big deal just noticed that.
Maybe a formula tweak? That's the only thing I could think of....

It looks like they replaced some of the Calcium with Magnesium, which seems to be happening more lately. I'm agreeing with @dezlpwr that it is a formula tweak. Ca down by 200ppm and Mg up about 130ppm.

Yeah I do not expect the reusable oil filter to be as good as the Fram Ultra but if it is close and everything looks good I may use it permanently after my supply of Ultras and Titaniums are depleted. I did use it for one OCI on a previous OCI and everything on the wear metal side looked good but I did not do a particle count on it. That's why I'm running it again to see how it looks with a PC.
Not sure how any of this compares to you K&P reusable "35 micron" stainless mesh oil filter but I thought the test they did was interesting none the less. Total Seal Piston Rings dumped 5 grams of Iron into the oil to test some piston rings but they also decided to do a filter test at the same time.

They mention that oil makers use soot for engine oil testing so this isn't necessarily an out of the ordinary test. They did a PC test & compared between a 25-27 micron Wix Gold "paper Filter" & a "Wire Screen Media" rated at 35 microns.

ISO 16 rating of Clean fresh Oil straight out of the drum
ISO 22 rating w/ 5 grams of Iron added

ISO rating w/ 5 grams w/Wix oil filter bought it down to 19
ISO rating w/ 5grams w/Screen oil filter didn't change much & stayed at 22

Mind you 1 ISO number DOUBLES the particles
The 5 gram oil with the screened oil filter lossed 10 HP within 1 hour of their test. Not good news for the bearings, Camshaft, etc. but The good news was that they found no Chrome or Titanium in the oil from using their piston rings in this controlled test.

Last edited:
Not sure how any of this compares to you K&P reusable "35 micron" stainless mesh oil filter but I thought the test they did was interesting none the less. Total Seal Piston Rings dumped 5 grams of Iron into the oil to test some piston rings but they also decided to do a filter test at the same time.

They mention that oil makers use soot for engine oil testing so this isn't necessarily an out of the ordinary test. They did a PC test & compared between a 25-27 micron Wix Gold "paper Filter" & a "Wire Screen Media" rated at 35 microns.

ISO 16 rating of Clean fresh Oil straight out of the drum
ISO 22 rating w/ 5 grams of Iron added

ISO rating w/ 5 grams w/Wix oil filter bought it down to 19
ISO rating w/ 5grams w/Screen oil filter didn't change much & stayed at 22

Mind you 1 ISO number DOUBLES the particles
The 5 gram oil with the screened oil filter lossed 10 HP within 1 hour of their test. Not good news for the bearings, Camshaft, etc. but The good news was that they found no Chrome or Titanium in the oil from using their piston rings in this controlled test.

Yeah we'll see when I do my next oil change and do a particle count on the reusable oil filter. I would be highly surprised if the particle count is not a fair amount higher than the Fram Ultra. How much higher it is hard to say but that will determine whether or not I continue using it in this application. I have been using one for many years in my highly modified Harley engine but that engine uses thick 20W-50 oil and the better flow, especially at cold start ups that the K&P provides is more important to me than superior filtration. I think in that application at least, it is beneficial and provides a decent balance between flow and filtration. The OEM Harley spin on oil filters are well known for sub par filtration. I think the micron rating is or was worse than the K&P! I think 40 micron absolute?

Back