Oil for Oilite- high speed/very small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm curious about the best choice of oil for a 0.32 mm steel shaft running in a tiny Oilite bearing. Think very similar to a vibrator motor like in pagers and phones. The speed is about 12,000 RPM. My first thought is very light anti wear turbine oil, but then I realized that the SFM is low, under 40, and there will be 50 gram side loads (the eccentric vibrating mass), so maybe the viscosity should be higher. Any thoughts on this peculiar application?

Last edited:
oilite uses SAE 30 weight oil for the oil in this brass bushing material. I would suggest replacing with the same, not engine oil either, if you need to use a oil from like tractor supply, they have it I know in a hydraulic type oil.

on edit you don't want anything added to this oil like engine oil etc, SAE 30 oil is what you need.. and that's all lol

Last edited:
Yes, I have some bearings on my router bits that mostly don't turn anymore! Some oil would have been a good idea. For my Oilite bearing I need a known quantity, not a mystery brand, no matter how good.

I suspected the standard Oilite oil was something like 30W. The interesting thing here is whether the tiny size of the bearing dictates a different weight oil. I just don't know how to scale things. At first I thought, "this is a very high speed application, 12,000 RPM!", but in terms of surface speeds, it's really comparable to a rather slow moving bearing- if it were scaled up. Thus my curiosity.

Size of bearing/bushing has no impact on the oilite material, it all started off in big round stock, and was machined down to whatever size. I would not worry about a expensive 30w, you just don't want the chance of additives clogging up the "pores" of the oilite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back