Pennzoil Ultra vs. Pennzoil Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Pennzoil oil would be better for extended OCIs in an '08 Civic? Which filter would you choose to help maximize OCIs?
Thanks!

Take your pick both are outstanding oil's that would do the maximum manufactures OCI recomendation with out issues.

i would recommend PU myself for the higher TBN and additives along with a P1,WIX,NG,how long of interval do you plan on doing?

I'd like to stretch the OCI as long as is prudent. The Honda engine, mostly on the highway .... how far could I go?

As said above Ultra has > TBN and Addy pack. It may look darker but it can do it. I wouldn't do an extended OCI like that unless you have been up to snuff with your oil changes ie. your engine isn't too dirty. Which I doubt in an 08 Civic but the PU will clean. I use Denso filters when I can, the 150-1010 will fit. IMO it is the best on the $6-9 price range. P1's, Wix, Bosch, Heck even a puro classic will hold up fine. Don't go longer than 12K w/o an analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MadMike4
It's nice (and rare) when people agree. Everyone says PU.

Wait... I can gladly fix that for you.

Given the choice between these two, Ultra would clearly be better. However, it (might be?) important to note that Pennzoil has repeatedly stated that Platinum and Ultra are not extended drain oils but are instead marketed toward enthusiasts who follow mfgr. recommended OCIs, to keep their engines as clean as possible.

Mobil1 EP Castrol Edge, and Amsoil SSO are examples off the top of my head that are marketed as extended-drain oils.

Originally Posted By: MadMike4
I'd like to stretch the OCI as long as is prudent. The Honda engine, mostly on the highway .... how far could I go?

Well then start small go say 8k and do a UOA then go from there but i really think if this engine is easy on oil? 10-12k is not out of line.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
However, it (might be?) important to note that Pennzoil has repeatedly stated that Platinum and Ultra are not extended drain oils

You are correct BUT...repeaded UOA's here clearly show the oil "can" go the distance.

there are allot of good name brand oil's used here for long OCI that are not stated extended drain from the manufacture, that's why IMO stick with a good name brand.

My OLM regularly let me go to 8500 with a basic dino oil for my highway based driving. Should be able to stretch a quality syn oil beyond that, don't you think?

Last edited:
I am presently using Ultra and have approximately 4600 miles on it and planning to do over 10,000 miles with my Bosch DPlus oil filter.

It's TBN is as high as the Full Synthetic Amsoil which is another reason I am comfortable with it. Also I see it as a better version of PP.
And we know PP's sparkling reputation
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back