BP Brews Up an Ethanol Breakthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading for the part where it would say "it will bring down the cost of making ethanol" but did not see it.

These articles are often more notable for what they don't say than what they do say.

Sorry for the cynism.

I was expecting to read that BP discovered that they can produce ethanol from algae that can only be found from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico - specifically around the oil spill area from last summer's disaster.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
I was expecting to read that BP discovered that they can produce ethanol from algae that can only be found from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico - specifically around the oil spill area from last summer's disaster.

Yea no kidding...

Originally Posted By: Burt
I was reading for the part where it would say "it will bring down the cost of making ethanol" but did not see it.

These articles are often more notable for what they don't say than what they do say.

Sorry for the cynism.

Cynicism is natural. More than likely the government mandate for ethanol blending has driven the price of the product high enough to make this technology profitable.
Next wait for the corporate farms of America to lobby congress for protections against competition..(that's my cynicism).

Bad news to me. I wish they would just announce already what a joke ethanol is. If the oil companies are now trying to corner the market. Just more of our tax dollars going for a product that over 80% of us dont even approve of. So thats nice, we can pay to subsidize gas with ethanol to the oil companies and then pay for the gas too. I would just like to see ethanol go away and just cut out all the fleecing and middlemen.

I am not a fan of ethanolin fuel myself it doesn't have the energy of gasoline and reduces MPG and thus range per tank, but the fact is the goverment mancdates it.
If ethanol must be produced for fuel (as our goverment has mandated) I would prefer it be from switchgrass etc. instead of food grains which has more impact on our economy over simply lost fuel economy as it raises the price of food regardless of the individual fuel use.
Competition for the Corn industries corner on the market would be a good thing. Once the infrastructure and equipment is in place it may help curb the steep price.

That and release some acreage for food

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

That and release some acreage for food

The problem is that when there isnt sure money for these crops from the ethanol subsidy, and especially if corm prices drop, we will not see more acreage for food. What we will see is acreage going to land developers to put tracts of mcmansions that are ugly, inefficient, and poorly made. Then we will hit a food crisis (the population is not getting lower or skinnier), and will have to import more of that too.

McMansions have destroyed much of NJ and elsewhere. They are as much a plague on the countryside as anything else. It is going to happen everywhere. Builders need to make a profit too, right? Then the national association of realtors will be looking for a subsidy, and at the expense of our farmers we will just have another subsidy to someone else.

It's an encouraging development.
Cellulosic ethanol is the key if it can be produced economically.
I agree the shorter range on ethanol is a detractor but it's naturally very high octane rating is an advantage as a performance fuel.

I see nothing wrong with a future where useless stuff is used to augment the fuel supply...currently efforts are largely on trying to get coal fired power stations to burn waste cellulosic materials, and it's ridiculous.

If they can be gassified, or turned into some other liquid combustible form that can be viably run in existing equipment, then great.

Been reading a book ATM "The windup girl", based 200 years into the future, post the Western global "contraction" that took place when the oil ran out...it's an interesting flight of fancy, by a very clever writer.

Hm. Says it can double ethanol production in a given time period, but how much could it produce before? The most important question is: is it cost competitive with ethanol? Can it be done in many small scale processing facilities co-located with gasoline distribution points so that transportation of the ethanol is not an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back