Grease for wheel hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Saab 9-5 has a service bulletin regarding switching from steel wheels for winter back to the alloy wheels in the spring. Apparently there can be some corrosion on the wheel hub to wheel mating surface.

The service bulletin says to use "White high pressure paste grease or similar" on the mating surface after cleaning them when switching back to the alloys.

What would all of you fellow BITOG'rs recommend for this application? Thanks!

any good grease #2,perferably a aluminum complex as its better around water,just smear on surface,both sides and wipe up excess..BL

Where's a good place to find such a grease? Would a regular auto parts place like Autozone have it? Thanks!

I'd go with an antisieze compound. It also does duty as an anti-fretting paste, which is the issue you're dealing with.

This is very important. My BMW alloys were corroded very tightly onto the iron hubs along with the iron rotors. This resulted in using big hammers to separate everything.

Our company is on top of these issues. One product I've seen recently is a round sheet of plastic that is placed between the mating surfaces to preclude corrosion. This product may already be available. One problem with this product is that it can often take a set, reducing clamp loads of the wheel bolts, resulting in wheel-offs. So be careful if you come across this product.

my BMW dealership hs always put a little bit of what seems t be silver anti-sieze on the wheel hubs. Keps them loking new for a long time.

JMH

I just received a tube of Schaeffer's #274 semi-synthetic grease, which is a waterproof aluminum complex grease. It's the #2 grade. I ordered it for $4. I think it should work fine for the wheel hubs, but I won't really know til next spring
smile.gif
I'll apply it in a few weeks when I go back to the alloys & summer tires.

[ March 18, 2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I have had same experience with aluminum wheels on iron hubs - corroded together and needed one big hammer to remove. Put a 2x4 on the wheel to keep from damaging rim.

Either use grease or rotate your tires often, depending on how much salt is used in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back