Serpentine Belt Contamination Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had my serpentine belt replaced for my '06 F150. It was "chirping" and the dealer put another Motorcraft belt. About 5k miles later, the noise is back on the new belt. When I went to inspect it, I noticed it had gummy deposits on the non-ribbed side of the belt as well as on the pulleys. Anyway, after two failures I've come to the realization that I may have created the problem by typically cleaning the engine compartment whenever I go to the car wash. I have a theory that the soapy water may have stayed on the belt creating an emulsification of dirt, soap residue, and whatever else is under the hood flying around. I think this residue causes the belt to slip on the pulleys.

Anyone routinely clean/wash their engine compartment and eventually have belt failure (belt noise/squeal)?

Originally Posted By: modularv8
I recently had my serpentine belt replaced for my '06 F150. It was "chirping" and the dealer put another Motorcraft belt. About 5k miles later, the noise is back on the new belt. When I went to inspect it, I noticed it had gummy deposits on the non-ribbed side of the belt as well as on the pulleys. Anyway, after two failures I've come to the realization that I may have created the problem by typically cleaning the engine compartment whenever I go to the car wash. I have a theory that the soapy water may have stayed on the belt creating an emulsification of dirt, soap residue, and whatever else is under the hood flying around. I think this residue causes the belt to slip on the pulleys.

Anyone routinely clean/wash their engine compartment and eventually have belt failure (belt noise/squeal)?

What soap are you using for cleaning?

I only use simple green for degreasing and I have not had any problems.

I avoid getting soap on the belt. I would think that soap would cause it to slip.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I avoid getting soap on the belt. I would think that soap would cause it to slip.

You really should not get car wash soap, or any other regular detergent around the engine compartment .

Best thing to do is use a MILD degreaser like one of the orange based types or simple green. Harsh products may clean well but they can damage rubber, and or even metal.

NEVER USE A PRODUCT LIKE "GREASED LIGHTNING" BECAUSE IT IS CAUSTIC AND WILL DAMAGE ALUMINIUM !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I found simple green to be harsh.Turns aluminum alloy white.I use and have for years stuff called GUMOUT DEGREASER.It is a foam and designed to clean engines with. Clean pulleys and groves with body solvent or alcohol.Then a new belt.

Last edited:
I use Gunk engine cleaner and a regular garden hose to clean my engines. I cover selected parts with foil to keep water out. never covered the pullies or belts. no problems.

My current belts/pullies have been on over 70,000 miles on my BMW. I do think that soaps and road debris could cause problems. My BMW has an underbody splash pan under the belt area to prevent road debris issues.

Last edited:
I was using whatever the carwash puts in their tanks for the "soap" function. I then use the spotless rinse afterwards. But I have never made it a point to clean the belt nor did I check afterwards to make sure no soap got on it. The truck only has 48k and the tensioner and pulley alignment check out good. The idea of soap residue contamination is the only thing I can come up with for the two belt failures in row. Seems plausible, but I think I will try to ask Dayco about it.

I may have created the problem by typically cleaning the engine compartment whenever I go to the car wash.

There's your answer @The_Critic
smile.gif

But yes......this could potentially be the "cauce" I've heard some real nasty stuff about the car wash soaps......i.e.: they put something in the soap that actually "attracts" dirt after you clean it.....makes sense....right? Keeps you coming back when the dirt comes back :p

But yea, I'd think something like Super Clean, or Simple Green may be a better option......since they actually are made for degreasing/cleaning and specifically "note" Motor/under the hood usage......but yea, as mentioned previously, you really gotta be careful cause both products can take a toll on aluminum if left on too long....

Edit: OK, just saw your reply
smile.gif
SPOTLESS RINSE! THAT is your culprit here I'm thinking.....

It's actually hte "spotless rinse" that has the "dirty attractant" agents that "attract" dirt to the vehicle after use.....I believe it was previously discussed HERE on these forums actually
wink.gif
Do a search for "spotless rinse" site:bobistheoilguy.com at Google and you should find a thread here regarding the residue that gets left behind with the "Spotless Rinse"......

And ya know what, it's odd, cause my brother bought a 99 Pontiac Sunfire, the previous owner (sister's boyfriend) said the belts are all "just changed" and brand new, but he gets that "chirping noise" at every start up
wink.gif
And then the other day he was telling us he always would use the "Engine Clean Cycle" at the local car wash......so I bet that's what's causing his belt chirp too......

Other belt related noise I've heard a pulley/tensioner could be on it's way out (needs replacement).....

Last edited:
I didn't realize how much trouble I was creating for myself at the carwash. The other thing I noticed is that on my garage floor just beneath my truck's engine compartment (where the belt would be), there is a black layer (tar looking/belt material) on the floor. I'm thinking the residue/contamination on the belt accelerates wear on it, especially when starting in the morning. Eventually, the ribs are worn enough to slip causing noise.

Thanks for all the replies, they have been very informative.

I wash the engine bay about once a year using Simple Green diluted 4:1. This year I never got around to it, so my engine bay hasn't been washed since about May of 2009. While not spotless, it has a small layer of dust on the plastics, but everything else looks fairly clean.

Dirt just doesn't seem to stick to the parts, but I don't use any engine dressings, and definitely stay away from car wash engine cleaning. The only thing I used last year was a little spray of tire foam to give plastics a nice black look, and I wiped off the excess, seems to work OK.

I use Simple Green diluted 20:1 via hose end sprayer to gently and quickly (compared to a trigger sprayer) soap down the engine compartment, agitate where required with a big, cheap paint brush, and then rinse with LOTS of low pressure water.

High pressure just drives water and degreaser into places it doesn't belong and doesn't clean any better - if the degreaser hasn't broken down a patch of greasy dirt, 1800psi of plain water isn't going to touch it either. Simple Green needs lots of rinsing or it "hangs around" on surfaces. 20:1 is plenty strong enough provided you do this at least once per year or so.

I just don't buy that theory. You are washing off the soap. You are starting the car and driving it from the car wash place. The belt will start spinning and whatever is left on the belt will be blown away. Something else is contaminating it.

- Vikas

I was using whatever the carwash puts in their tanks for the "soap" function. I then use the spotless rinse afterwards.

This is probably best avoided.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I just don't buy that theory. You are washing off the soap. You are starting the car and driving it from the car wash place. The belt will start spinning and whatever is left on the belt will be blown away. Something else is contaminating it.

- Vikas

I don't think the rinse water is just pure water, notice how the water beads after the wash, they must add something to the water so that general public thinks their car was "waxed". This stuff may leave some sort of layer that later on attracts dust. These are big corporations that want you to keep coming back, so I would not be surprised if they used stuff like that.

I virtually never recommend an engine cleaning while it is still in the car.
#1 is ignition failure. And once it starts, it can be a permanent crack/leak /problem.
Soaps or the oil/grime you just displaced on to it will make belts howl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back