Oil pickup screen cleaning, any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this question interesting, and some of the ideas give me some. Here is an idea that could work on a small block Chevy, but I don't know what other engines.

Pull the distributor and the oil pressure sending unit behind it. Introduce solvent, oil or a mix into the pressure sending unit port while turning the oil pump backwards with a drill. Let it flow out of the drain plug.

If you knew where the pickup was in the pan you could make a nozzle out of a piece of tubing that would point up into it that passes through the drain plug hole. Using a pump of some kind you could shoot solvent up through the pickup and let it flow out of the drain plug hole.

If you knew where the pickup was located you could drill a hole in the pan and shoot solvent straight up into it. Then weld up the hole if a steel pan. If an aluminum pan you could drill, tap and plug the hole.

These ideas may not be real practical but just food for thought.

you could rig something at the oil filter inlet port. It shouldn't be too hard with a regular Permacool engine block mount. There you would just put a hose to the inlet port (outlet of the engine. You would then just suspend a funnel and pour in your agent of choice. It may take a while to make it through the pump.

But Auto-Rx would be my in line agent of choice. Anything involving a solvent would be an experiment for me.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I have mention that we are not sure that the pickup is plugged.
It is surely possible, but we don't know that yet.

Did we ever find out if the pick-yp is indeed plugged?

Try draining your oil out, reinstall your oil drain plug, pour a gallon of Berryman's Chem Dip carburetor cleaner in it and let it sit. It is safe for metals and dissolves everything else.

I tried a similar method when I changed the oil on my Jeep. Dump a pint of B12 Chemtool and a quart of MMO in, let it sit for 10 minutes, drain, rinse the pan with cheap oil, fill it up, change the filter, and start it. My oil pressure is a little higher at high rpms, and comes up a little faster when revved. I don't think my pickup was particularly dirty, but it seems to have done a bit of cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back