How does a chokeless and primerless cold engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
start? I have a Toro w / Briggs where you just yank on the rip cord and wala, it starts on first pull and runs smoothly; no choke or primer bulb to fiddle with...almost as if it were fuel injected. You'd think all manf would have this system to eliminate the cost of a primer bulb and manual choke, yes? Best I can figure is the butterfly valve is spring loaded and is always closed no matter the temp and the vacuum once started causes the valve to spring open but that doesn't account for the smoothness of a cold-running engine.

It has a choke. Its thermally operated (just like on a car) and uses the air flow from the cooling fan acting against a vane to hold it partly open after a cold start- akin to the vacuum choke pull-off on a car carburetor. I've been very impressed with how well mine works, but its only a few months old. I figure if it dies, I'll just swap a primer-bulb carb onto the engine- got plenty of Briggs parts lying around.

I have thermal/electric activated chokes on my ATVs. I wish they never had it. Every time you start the engine, warm or cold, it goes through the choke procedure causing the engine to rev unnecessarily high when the engine is already warm. When the engine is revving high, it's difficult to get the automatic transmission to engage. It's like it has some kind of safety feature that will not allow the drive to engage until the rpms fall. I've figured out a way around it by leaving the machine in gear and starting it with the brakes applied. I have a similar machine with a manual transmission and it does the same thing with the choke but being a manual, I can put it into gear with no problems. These chokes are electrically controlled and work on a thermo-couple principle. The choke is always on when the machine is turned off. When the machine is turned on and electricity goes to the choke, it slowly warms up the thermo-couple to slowly disengage the choke. Regardless of engine temperature, the choke always seems to go through the choking process. PITA!!!

My Toro does just as the op stated,Starts and runs with no high idle etc. Although it is Governed at a certain speed. And thats all it ever runs at.

works flawless on the new honda mower in the garage!

hope it lasts longer than the auto choked cars I owned.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've been very impressed with how well mine works, but its only a few months old. I figure if it dies, I'll just swap a primer-bulb carb onto the engine- got plenty of Briggs parts lying around.

It works great and very reliably...if you maintain your mower.

I see tons of these that won't start due to bad gas or because the mower is overfilled with oil and the spark plug is fouled.

If you use fresh gas or gas with a stabilizer in it, you shouldn't have any worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back