Lost spark plug socket rubber insert

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I changed plugs on 99 Camry, I realized that I no longer had the rubber insert in the spark plug socket. Logical explanation is that it probably got stuck to the porcelain of the new plug. Obviously, I did not notice it at that time and the plug wire went on without a hitch.

Can the rubber insert survive the heat of deep well of the spark plug tube? If the insert has melted, I should probably leave it alone. I don't expect to change these plugs for another 100K miles :)

What are the chances that if I were to remove the plug wire and plug now, I would cause more problems? I don't want (possibly) disintegrated socket remains falling in to the cylinder. I don't have shop air to blow the spark plug deep tube.

I don't think I am the first one to have done something like this :-(

- Vikas

I'll bet it fell off while changing the plugs anbd not on the plug. I doubt you could have gotten the plug wire in place with the insert still on the plug.

I agree with jcwit, but unless I knew for sure, I probably wouldn't be able to sleep very good at night.

I would pop the wires off and use a small flashlight to look into the well. If by chance you actually find the rubber insert in one, you can probably figure out a way to get it out without having to remove the plug.

If it is stuck on a plug use a shopvac.

To replace the missing rubber bit I use 5/8 fuel line since I have several lengths in my tool boxes.

There is more to this story than I posted initially. The insert was glued in the morning because it was not staying put. I took the first plug out with the socket and used a vacuum hose to initially thread the new one in and used the socket to tighten it.

Loosened the second plug and when I took the socket out, the plug was left in the cavity! Fortunately, I had already pre-purchased a nice magnetic pick-up tool from Amazon while ago and it did the job beautifully. I peeked at the socket and I poked my finger and I thought the socket was there but had no grip left. This socket is about thirty years old. I purchased it when I bought my first car, 1975 Pinto, in 1981 :)

Use the vacuum hose to thread the second plug in and it goes in crooked :-( The trouble with the vacuum hose was that it was not straight. I thanked Almighty that I was able to hook the hose up back on the plug and thread it out and in again correctly! Both the old plugs looked quite decent and I had lost my nerves and I decided to call it a day. Yah, I had also just replaced the front Air Fuel ratio sensor and air cleaner element; I had enough excitement for the day :)

After few days, I thought I would try to "fix" that socket and see if I could get a magnet to wedge in between the insert and the drive end. That is when I realized that there was no rubber insert and most likely it is on the first plug that I put in the car.

- Vikas

Last edited:
That happens to me once and the rubber stayed on the porcelain for about a few thousand miles before I found it. It didn't melt, but the rubber hardened. I don't think it will cause any problem if you leave it there other than the possibility of not able to fish it out if it melt. However if I were you I'll try to use the wrench that the rubber belongs to fish it back out. You don't have to remove the plugs, just use the friction to get the rubber out in an up/down motion.

If its a craftsman, go get a new one free of charge.

The boot is probably sitting in one of the wells or could have even fallen off after the job.

Last edited:
I have some spark plug sockets that are missing the rubber insert and I almost prefer them that way. They tend to grab the plug insulator too tight anyway, and I prefer the feel of full engagement of the plug's hex. Sometimes the rubber insert can fool you to think it is engaged and snap the porcalean off.

With magnetic pick-up and vacuum hose, I have no need of the rubber insert. As long as the missing insert on the porcelain is not going to cause in problems, I would leave it alone.

A good trick I forgot to mention to avoid cross-threading the plug is to turn it in the *opposite* direction until it "drops" in the thread and *then* start turning in the right direction. I discovered this method accidentally.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas

A good trick I forgot to mention to avoid cross-threading the plug is to turn it in the *opposite* direction until it "drops" in the thread and *then* start turning in the right direction. I discovered this method accidentally.

- Vikas

I picked up that trick by trial and error too and use it on all kinds of threaded parts when they feel like they are not starting straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back