Anybody here a A&P or avionics tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on the job hunt to get back into high tech for a few months now. The job market for what I used to specialize in (computer forensics) is pretty tough right now. I'm not crazy about going back to sitting in front of a computer for hours on end. As luck would have it the local community college offers A&P FAA certification in a 2 year program. I think I have enough college credits to finish it in about a 1.5 years.

I'm really attracted to working on the avionics, especially the GPS and radio equipment. I know not all avionic work requires A&P, but it seems like being A&P certified opens more doors.

Does anybody here have any experience? I'm curious about starting salaries and experience. Also does anybody here work on avionics, but isn't A&P certified?

Thanks for the help!
-Vincent

Originally Posted By: tom slick
What about going to work for an OEM / contractor?

What kind of OEM? Avionics?

I don't know why my company is like this but I understand that it is very common:

I am a A&P for a major carrier. In order for me to work avionics I was required to have my FCC Radiotelephone Operators License. This license was required to repair (or even replace) instruments in the cockpit but is not required to perform electrical work on the airframe.

I got my A&P from a four-year college and my FCC from my local Technical College.

Having a A&P license opens all sorts of opportunities for people whether they intend to be mechanics or not. If you're able to get the license in only 1.5 years I'd jump at that chance. Get the FCC Radiotelephone Operators license also if possible.

Quote:
I've been on the job hunt to get back into high tech for a few months now. The job market for what I used to specialize in (computer forensics) is pretty tough right now. I'm not crazy about going back to sitting in front of a computer for hours on end. As luck would have it the local community college offers A&P FAA certification in a 2 year program. I think I have enough college credits to finish it in about a 1.5 years.

I'm really attracted to working on the avionics, especially the GPS and radio equipment. I know not all avionic work requires A&P, but it seems like being A&P certified opens more doors.

Does anybody here have any experience? I'm curious about starting salaries and experience. Also does anybody here work on avionics, but isn't A&P certified?

What degree, if any, do you have now? I would go for the A&P as a stepping stone toward Aerospace Engineering. I work with some sharp AE's who first had their A&P; I would choose them anytime over other's who did not have their A&P's.

The reason for requiring a Radio Telephone License is because you may have to test High Frequency and VHF radios. Much of the data that is uploaded (for updating flight plans, etc. to aircraft) are going through ARINC Datalinks which go through VHF radios.

A&P’s today deal a lot with avionics but also work with engines and aircraft structures, and work on repairs to same.

How difficult is it to find work in this field ?

I know a few avionics techs from the ANG that went on to work for the FAA as inspectors.

To the OP, we're hiring in JFK and BOS. BUT you need 2 years experience working on commercial aircraft. Not to mention the screening test is fairly challenging with out prior experience, or so I've been told.
JFK
BOS

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
My company is hiring A&P... You'll work on the CRJ-200 and 900

I can talk to one of our MX guys and see if they mind telling me how much they make.

http://www.jsfirm.com/companydetail.asp_Q_jobid_E_33236

Did you go to DCA?

If you're talking about Delta Connection Academy, No.... Places like DCA, or ATP are a big waste of money. I got the same trainnng for much cheaper at a mom and pop's flight school. All my certificate and ratings looks exactly the same as the guy who went to DCA or ATP.

Last edited:
I am a Director of Maintenance in a Corporate Flight Department. We are not hiring, however I use contract A+P's all the time.

I notice the local work force is slowly dwindling. We are all getting older and some retire, some die off and others find careers outside of aviation.

The schools are not cranking out A+P's like they used to. It's my belief that the A+P will eventually be in demand. Plenty of guesses with this one, but I feel that the US fleet is larger than ever. Older folks are leaving. Many of us are very overworked, at some point, that has to give. I'd guess that if the economy recovers, the A+P will be in strong demand within a few years. If the economy tanks,,,, well,, you would have skills that others don't.

Hi guys!

I'm the OP- Thanks for all the great insight. I don't have a degree now, but I've worked in Info Technology for a long time and I've done well.

Sadly with a mortgage and bills to pay I've realized I can't take the two years off for the A&P school (or 6 to pursue a MS), and I definitely can't afford to make $15@hr for two years out of A&P school. So it doesn't look like this is going to work for me. If I was single living with my parents I'd already be enrolled.

I did however chat with the local avionics shop without A&P. They were willing to pay $15@hr to start and after a couple years of experience they said I'd top out at $22. Not a bad deal for on the job training, but I can't afford to work for those rates. Several of the guys there were A&P from military experience, and the junior guys work under them.

I completely agree with Cujet's observation. The entire workforce at the avionics company looked pretty old and the foreman said they have a really tough time finding people. The local JC that has the avionics program did say they have 18 students registered, which seems pretty low interest. I'm curious to see how this will create a workforce shortage in a few years.

The local police department went through the same thing, more officers were retiring then were new recruits were being trained and accepted. My brother-in-law who works in the backgrounds department simply said they've "lowered standards". Scary stuff.

Hello Santov, I would like to offer a bit of career advice regarding A&P school. I was employeed at NWA for 18 years and was a Lead Aircraft Technician. Our union was locked out and we were replaced with scab labor. Working in aviation is not a stable form of employment. The amount of time and sacrfice that A&P school requires isn't cost effective when compared to other careers. May I suggest if you enjoy electronics to persue medical equipment repair. Also Power Generation is another field opening very wide. ~ Good Luck, Radman

I used to do field service for GE Medical for 10 years. There are lots of opportunities in Biomed (medical equipment repair) and lots of overtime if you want to work it. I know after one year with GE you can apply for jobs outside the biomed business such as (GE Energy, Power & Water, Oil & Gas, Nuclear Pharmacy, etc...).

Radman,
My dad was an A&P mechanic for 30 years at PanAm and was so happy to retire with all the strikes and uncertainty in that industry.

@LT4Vette, I am glad your father made it through the airline crisis. My crew that worked for me was comprised of several Pan Am & Eastern Technicians that had 25 years in only to lose their jobs & get 25 cents on the dollar for their pensions. I told my self that if I ever lost my job in aviation I would never go back. I kept my word & entered the Nuclear Power Generation field as an Instrument & Control System Technician. I could never work in aviation with all the scab laborers that are employed. Also the aviation field has the highest hearing loss of any career.

Guys, I have to interject my experience here. The problems aren't with the aviation industry. The problem is with aviation industry labor unions.

I hired in with Delta back in 1991 and was never EVER told by a labor union to not come to work and support my family. I have never missed a pay check, never been sent home without pay, never been denied ANY medical or dental coverage and I have never had management treat me unfairly. This is over the course of my 19+ years at a non-union company (which did go through a bankruptcy).

When the NWA guys came to Atlanta they immediately got a $4 per hour pay raise and feedback with my NWA co-workers tells me that they're absolutely amazed that we don't punch a time clock or have strictly regulated work hours. If they get to work a bit late it's excused with a box of donuts. If they need to leave early to watch their kids ball game it's a gratis offering. We're expected to work when we're here and we're expected to know our jobs without excuse. That's the way it should be in all aviation jobs though.

I have zero regrets working in aviation. I had job offers from United (in San Francisco), US Air, and American before I chose Delta. My decision was based solely on Delta's lack of a labor union. I think I made the correct decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back