Castrol GTX 20w50, BMW M10, 5 yr OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is relevant only to a thread I made in the PCMO forum, oil was in use for 5 years but fewer than 500 miles, with occasional idle-only use during winter months.

oilreport.jpg

No joke, this oil could have done another 5 years under the same conditions.

It did shear a fair bit for onl;y 500 miles.....

I doubt this car was left exposed to the elements, etc. for the 5 year period.

Can't tell you how many 100K vehicles (not miles, VEHICLES!) have sat for 5-10-15-20 years only to start right up with fresh gas and a charged battery.

Back in "the OLD Days" you went out to find an old car (or truck) that was somewhat close in age, model, etc. to the one you were working on (this is when a lot of "normal" people actually worked on their own cars) looking for a donor engine, transmission, etc.

Starts right up: take out and change the oil & filter (if it had one) check for a leaky pan gasket and away we go!

Pity the poor jerk trying to "fix" virtually anything on the Jaguar or BMW they picked up "pre-owned", or off a lease (and without a warranty)...

Just bring your checkbook (or the credit card if you still have one).

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
SJ?

The bottles in the basement are SJ so I'm reasonably confident this stuff is, too.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
An aside is the statement this UOA makes about the shelf life of unopened oil.

I'm hoping so too as there's still quite a few quarts that I need to use up.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm assuming you replaced this oil with the same stuff?

Actually, (for the first time in the cars life) I put in some Rotella T6 that was on sale. It will be interesting to see how it likes 5w40 over 20w50.

Makes me feel better about my 3 year OCI plan on my 1996 Mustang, which gets about 200 miles a year for occasional summer cruises.

That whole "3 mo / 3k miles" is a TOTAL waste in concept.

I have a 3 year OCI coming up soon and debating whether to change it. Only has around 3k miles, and started with a TBN of 10 or so. I kinda chuckle at the 3 month OCI crowd regardless of miles. Total waste indeed.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

That whole "3 mo / 3k miles" is a TOTAL waste in concept.

So is having a mustang and only driving 200 miles/year 8)

He gotcha Dave! Redeem yourself... get some kicks on Route 66 this summer.

As to the time interval, I've more or less given up tilting against that windmill... and on excessive air filter changing.

I think there has been created a Pavlovian-like time response in many people. They get get tremors at three months. Those who are able to hold out farther start getting DT-like seizures at 6-months. The few that can hook and roll past that lose bladder control at a year and have attacks of manic behavior. Those who can last past a year recover rapidly, soon get holier-than-thou, start pounding on piles of paper printed out from the web and post on some website from some guy named Bob.

Last edited:
IMHO, oil does not somehow magically turn into the mixture they were using to destroy the engines in the "Cash for Clunkers" Program just because it has been sitting in the car for a while. Thousands upon 100'rds of thousands of engines came out of junkyards and were installed in cars and trucks and used, successfully, with nary an oil-related problem, for decades.

That's how it used to be done.

Maybe not in Fairbanks, but for sure in a milder climate. If it hasn't been run in a while, start 'er up and give her a good run to fully warm up the oil and evaporate any minor traces of water that may exist.

Just my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back