Mighty Engine Guard 2 Oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local quick change place near my home only uses Mighty Engine Guard 2 Oil filters. Anyone have any experience with these filters? Are they Good? I wrote to the company and they said that the filters are made by Champion, so are they repackaged Super Tech filters? Thoughts?

I don't know. But if you already have one on your car, ask them to let you have it next time you change there. Then take it home and cut it open. Alternately, they would surely install a filter you bring in (watch them to be sure), but of course they may not knock anything off the cost of the change.

Seems to me the only time I went to a quick lube place (about 15 years ago), they used a brand called Mitee?
I wonder if it's the same thing.
I'd also wonder if the filter you buy this month is the same maker as the filter you buy next oil change.
I would imagine these "franchises" buy from the lowest bidder.
Of course there may also be corporate connections between some filter manufacturers and some quick lube franchises?????

Jiffy Lube is/was owned by Pennzoil/QuakerState...one JL I went to (once) used Pennzoil-branded filters, which are made by...take a wild guess...

The other JL closer to home uses a filter called Mile-Guard which is also made by...have you figured it out, yet? I'll give you a hint...they're normally painted orange...

So I guess it doesn't matter which quicky-lube you go to, or when you go...if you peel off the custom branding, they all ultimately use the same filter...

Before I get hooted at, I only went to these places because the company that owns my work van requires us to...

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:
Jiffy Lube is/was owned by Pennzoil/QuakerState...one JL I went to (once) used Pennzoil-branded filters, which are made by...take a wild guess...

The other JL closer to home uses a filter called Mile-Guard which is also made by...have you figured it out, yet? I'll give you a hint...they're normally painted orange...

Which infers one might have a chance of getting a decent filter if they go to a non JL place, which may not want to support their competition-

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Kapaun:
Which infers one might have a chance of getting a decent filter if they go to a non JL place,

I doubt it...after all, how many independent filter manufacturers are out there, in addition to the one referenced above?

Baldwin/Hastings, Champion, Wix, any others?

Unless you see a Wix logo (for example) on the filter, you're most likely to get a FRAM-clone no matter which quik-lube place you frequent.

I emailed Mighty Guard about this before & they also told me their oil filters are made by Champion. I don't think their is anything special about them. Just another re-badged Champion filter.

[ April 20, 2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: LiquidS2 ]

i use the mighty filters. they are made by purolator right now. they were made by champion before. they are made to mighty specs, they aren't a relabeled purolator. i'm getting a comparison test from my rep. here's some info on the site.

"There's a reason your Mighty representative seems proud of the Engine Guard filters. For the third year in a row, Mighty's Engine Guard II Air Filter was number two in the Annual Quick Lube Operators Survey performed by National Oil & Lube News. Our Engine Guard II Oil Filter was number two for the second year in a row. "

take that for what it's worth. i'll get more info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back