valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Valvoline convnetional for many many years. My 1986 Jetta ran mostly Valvoline and Halvoline for most of its 394,000 miles and was still running GREAT before it ended. Same with my 1982 Toyota truck. And Uncles 1978 F250. And so on.

Good oil. I'd not spend anymore for it over the other brands but would not avoid it.

One thing I don't like is the sodium in their oils for adds. It makes looking for a head gasket/ intake leak harder to find.

Take care, bill

Still does have one of the weakest add package, and low TBN you could do better imho.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Check 3-11-10 new sheriff in town and some of the uoa both look a bit like water imho.
21.gif

For some cars it just seems to work.
White bottle does pretty good in my car. Nissan 3.5L.

Originally Posted By: pbm
When I first came to BITOG many people stated that Valvoline "had a weak additive package". Despite this claim Valvoline always showed excellent UOA's which led many to feel that it had something that did'nt show up in VOA's.
At any rate I wouldn't hesitate to use any of Valvolines products.

If we're talking about VWB (vs other conventionals like PYB, GTX, QS, MC5K, etc.) then the assertion that valvoline has a 'weak' additive package may or may not be misguided. It is clear that Ashland takes a different approach than most major PCMO manufacturers - they use high levels of sodium-based additives, while not using Moly or Boron additives at all (on paper, this is somewhat similar to Castrol GTX).
http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html
I suspect many on this board just don't like the sodium-based additives - don't know why. I tend to like the Moly/Boron technology if for no other reason than it is newer technology. Also, the low starting TBN of Valvoline isn't as appealing as others.

I think some also may question the additive package in MaxLife and SynPower, though I haven't seen much information to back this up.

Now, if we're talking diesel oil, Valvoline Premium Blue might be gaining a following... indications are that VPB contains a 'strong' additive package and a high TBN.

Originally Posted By: Don_B
One thing that does bother me a bit; is that both my 318s are flat tappet; and on my '83 3/4 ton truck I put a new cam and lifters in 13K ago; ("more power"; not because of a breakdown; I put an "RV" cam in to better help that little V8 move the big truck with headers and a 4 bbl in place of the 2 bbl) it does not use any between 3K oil change intervals and is still relatively clean. I hear so much about flat tappet cams going bad these days.

In general, I wouldn't use ANY regular PCMOs in your flat tappet 318s. Not because I don't think they might work OK, but because there are comparably priced oils that will work better, so you won't have to worry about your flat tappet cams. The reduced levels of Zinc and Phosphorous in new PCMOs can cause damage to flat tappet cams - why take the risk? If it were me, I'd use an HDEO with at least 1100 ppm zinc. The more Zinc and Phosphorous, the better.

Any 15W-40 diesel oil will do, but I suppose Valvoline Premium Blue would get my first vote.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Originally Posted By: Don_B
One thing that does bother me a bit; is that both my 318s are flat tappet; and on my '83 3/4 ton truck I put a new cam and lifters in 13K ago; ("more power"; not because of a breakdown; I put an "RV" cam in to better help that little V8 move the big truck with headers and a 4 bbl in place of the 2 bbl) it does not use any between 3K oil change intervals and is still relatively clean. I hear so much about flat tappet cams going bad these days.

In general, I wouldn't use ANY regular PCMOs in your flat tappet 318s. Not because I don't think they might work OK, but because there are comparably priced oils that will work better, so you won't have to worry about your flat tappet cams. The reduced levels of Zinc and Phosphorous in new PCMOs can cause damage to flat tappet cams - why take the risk? If it were me, I'd use an HDEO with at least 1100 ppm zinc. The more Zinc and Phosphorous, the better.

Any 15W-40 diesel oil will do, but I suppose Valvoline Premium Blue would get my first vote.

+1 If it were me i would switch to a HDEO. delo, delvac, rotella, valvoline blue.. which ever brand floats your boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back