Oil for 2005 sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a very well cared for sienna with the 3.3L (3MZ-FE) motor and during our search of driving both the odssey I had 5W-20 stuck in my brain.

So I picked some Castrol GTX 5W-20 and realized it takes 5W-30. Would it hurt to use this oil or should I take it back?

Motor has had DINO in it since new and changed every 3K, would like to change to either a synthetic blend or regular full syn. Have a Redline dealer near me and M1 is of course avail everywhere. Wally World sells the Motorcraft 5W-30 Syn blend for $10 for a 5 QT jug and while price isn't terribly a concern...just wanted thoughts on the Ford oil as well.

I hear these motors reguraly turn 200K with proper maint.....my first Toyota and hope to keep irunning good for a long while.

I would go with recommended viscosity and if you are doing 3 to 5 thousand mile oil change intervals go with dino oils and 10,000+ mile 1 year oil change intervals go with syn of your choice.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I would go with recommended viscosity and if you are doing 3 to 5 thousand mile oil change intervals go with dino oils and 10,000+ mile 1 year oil change intervals go with syn of your choice.

+1

Folks have debated on if that motor is prone to sludge or not.
I have the 1MZFE 3.0L motor in my 2003 Sienna, the "gelling" program was through the 2002 model year, my 2003 has the "improvements", modified baffels in the rear valve cover and different PCV valve.
So, while I have read posts about folks claiming to have sludge problems with the 3.3L, there is no program that I know of for that.
I would expect that the 3.3L would at the very least, have the improvements that the 3.0L has (might have had them all along).

I tend to be on the side of overmaintain......(this is only my opinion being given here), I am going with 5K mile OCI with a high quality Synthetic oil.

I have seen no TSB from Toyota stating to change from the specified 5W-30 oil for my 2003 with the 1MZFE 3.0L motor.
You might verify if there is any TSB changing the recommended oil for your 2005 3.3L motor.

I have over 220K miles on my '96 3.8L FORD windstar, which I bought in 1999 with under 38K miles on it.
I went with 5K mile OCI with synthetic in it also.
I just pulled the valve covers to replace the factory original valve cover gaskets.....and the valvetrain area was super clean, no varnish or deposit to be seen.....the aluminum was not changed in color at all.
The 3.8L windstar was not rated a being a very reliable vehicle.....so, as a friend told me....."If you got that out of your windstar, your sienna should last you the rest of your life".

Staying on top of maintenance is the best way to avoid problems down the road......if you, like me, plan to hang onto your vehicle for some time.
I sure have not seen the problems many other folks have over the years on various vehicles that I have owned.
Although, I tend to hang onto a vehicle for longer than most folks, so I get the payback on it.

I think that your VVT (Variable Valve Timing) system is set up slightly different than mine in terms of oil delivery to it (not sure), there is a screen filter in the oil supply for each bank.
On my 3.0L motor, it is mounted into the cylinder head on the driver's side.....something that I plan to inspect from time to time.

Another reason why I am looking to be a stickler on my oil and OCI......as the VVT system is not going to like deposits.

I have around 78K miles on my '04 Sienna. I ran conventional dino for the first 70K years and just switched over to 5W-30 Valv syn. blend.

Every oil change has been very clean without any signs of sludge. These engines are very good. I plan on keeping for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back