M1 / 5w30 / 6,922 miles / Nissan Altima 3.5L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post, but I have a report showing the last 6 analysis from Blackstone. I ran GC 5w30, then amsoil 0w30 4 times, then mobil 1 5w30 this last test. Was working on extending my change frequency. Was up to a recommended 7k change frequency until this last test. High metal results and they are suggesting a 4k change and retest. All previous samples were pulled up through the dipstick and sent in before changing. The last sample, I took midstream from the oil pan. Maybe that affected the test?? I've used amsoil filters or pureone filters. The only other area of concern has been silicon, but it remains consistent. I have a Nismo intake with a AEM dryflow filter that I clean once a year. I've looked over the system and haven't seen any leaks.
I plan to take a sample at 4k miles and send it back in to see if I need to change or keep going. I am currently running Castrol Edge 5w30. I know it can go further than 4k miles, but concerned about the metal readings.
Any comments would be appreciated. I only know what blackstone tells me, so I thought a couple more eyes on the report could give me more info. I hven't driven the car any different and no track day. Thanks in advance.
oilreports.jpg

Your SI is relatively high for the miles on every test. Go back to a paper filter, and re-test. The increased dirt is causing abrasive wear, and your Aluminum numbers are higher than they should be.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Sily_Rabit
I ran GC 5w30,

Just for the record, 5w-30 is not GC.

Yes, you are correct, it was 0w30 GC, my mistake.

Looking back my silicone has always been high. The first OA was using a stock filter in the stock airbox. My first analysis, not shown above, shows 6 Al and 8 SI on 2,800 miles. The second one - shown above as 7/5/07 was a K&N in the stock airbox.

Comments from Blackstone
4/1/07
This oil looks like it has about 3K miles on it and wear doesn't look bad. We found above average aluminum, which points to excess wear at the pistons, but all other wear looks good so we're not too concerned about it. Universal averages are based on an oil run of ~4,400 miles. No harmful contaminants were found and the air and oil filters (silicon and insolubles) are working well too. Nissan makes nicely wearing engines and we doubt yours is an exception. Check back in ~3,500 miles to monitor. If wear looks good then we'll suggest more miles.

7/5/07
This oil is still in use and aluminum from pistons increased slightly compared to the last sample. The universal averages for typical wear metals in oil from the 3.5L Nissan V-6 are based on 4400 miles of oil use. When looking at those averages you can see that aluminum reads 3 ppm, so there still is some excess piston wear occurring. No gas,water or anti-freeze was present in the sample and the oil's viscosity was normal so all of them can be ruled out as contributing to the high wear. We suggest changing this oil and its filter and try a 3000-mile oil run to help pistons.

12/10/07
The silicon has become a trend in the wrong direction. We can't say that is abrasive dirt because you are lengthening out you oil use intervals, giving a variable to the process. But if it is abrasive dirt getting past air filtration you could expect it to affect piston wear and the pistons are aluminum. We suggest taking a hard look at the air intake system on your Nissan to make sure nothing is awry there. All the other wear metals are steady and showing no signs of abrading parts. If you can get the silicon to average we will suggest 5,500 mile oil changes (comfortably).

5/19/08
We were looking for silicon to drop in this sample, and while it didn't drop, it didn't get any worse, either. That's encouraging. We recommended last time taking a hard look at the air intake system to make sure there are no problems there. If you did that and didn't find anything wrong, then we wouldn't worry too much about it. It's higher than it used to be, but still close to averages. Aluminum dropped by half, which is great. Other metals all look fine too. The TBN read 3.9, still active additive remaining. Add 2000 miles to this fill, then resample.

12/01/08
Wear generally increased here in your Nissan. Nothing read high enough to warrant alarm but we think we've found the limit that you can comfortably run your oil without it getting abrasive. We'd recommend 6,000-6,500 mile oil changes, unless the above-average aluminum (from pistons) doesn't bother you. Insolubles increased to 0.6%, which shows that your oil filter was overrun. The TBN read 4.4 so this oil still had plenty of life (active additive) left in it. 1.0 is too low. Aluminum really isn't too troubling, so if you want to leave this oil in place, it should be okay.

6/6/09
Silicon was the only element keeping this from being a perfect report. We have noticed it has been on a slow up trend for a while now. If this silicon was from dirt getting past the air filter, it would be causing higher wear, and it's not. We don't know where it's from, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. The TBN of 2.6 showed some active additive left. Insolubles improved to 0.4%, so the oil filter is still getting it done for you. If you're interested in running a longer oil change, go for 7500 miles next time. Iron will increase, but the other metals should stay steady.

Jumping around with differant oils can cause wear numbers to fluctuate.Try staying with one good oil for two or three OCs then try a UOA.

I don't care for regular M1 5w30, but I'm not on the M1 5w30 hating bandwagon.

Nonetheless, that lead is concerning and I don't think it's from silicon. Do you drive fairly aggressively?

Without provoking the Mobil 1 lovers here
27.gif

Mobil 1 seems to spike lead wear in Nissan VQ engines.

Don't take my word, dig for Mobil 1 UOAs on Nissan VQs.

(At least the 5w-30 and 10w-30 varieties, that is.)

Last edited:
Ive noticed, mine included, that the transverse mounted 3.5VQs suck a lot of dirt. Only way I got mine close to under control was Amsoil air and oil filters. I run the M1 0w40 in mine and get a little high FE than with other oils, but lead is fine.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Was the AMSOIL 0w30 the SSO or the older Series 2000?

TSO had SL zinc and phos levels. All those are SM.

Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
How do you black out your info and post your UOA?

There is probably a better way, but I saved the pdf as a jpg and then used MS paint to black out the personal info.

I will follow up with the UOA after 4k miles. Should be about 3 weeks. Until then, I am going to rework my intake. The intake has multiple sections connected with hose. One section is a water bypass valve and I think dirt may be getting in the system here. It is set up as a cold air intake with the filter tucked down in the wheel well. I am going to take the drop out and make it a short ram warm air intake and see if that helps the silicon level. The intake is about 3-1/2 years old. The bypass has rubber flaps that open if the filter gets submerged. It is covered with a foam filter. This is what the bypass looks like.
31Y8S9YERVL._AA280_.jpg

aem_air_bypass_hero.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Ive noticed, mine included, that the transverse mounted 3.5VQs suck a lot of dirt. Only way I got mine close to under control was Amsoil air and oil filters. I run the M1 0w40 in mine and get a little high FE than with other oils, but lead is fine.

Yes, M1 0w-40 is the Mobil 1 I'd try in a VQ.

Regarding the dirt affecting lead, the other UOAs did not have a similarly high lead level, yet the silicon level was similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back