Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
where in the USA are you at mamala.? $4.50/4 eggs? I'm in the wrong business!

For that price, they must be Auto-R-eggs!

Price quotes are shipped 48 state organic eggs the omega3 type if I'm not mistaken. Who buys those is beyond me.

ERR what's the Auto=R-eggs about. Trying to compare Duck Eggs vs Chicken Eggs.
21.gif

No, it was an autorx joke. That stuff is high priced, so eggs this high priced must be autoreggs. Eh, maybe it's not that funny but I chuckled to myself.

No, it was an autorx joke. That stuff is high priced, so eggs this high priced must be autoreggs. Eh, maybe it's not that funny but I chuckled to myself.

I got it, definitely chuckle material.

And if you don't like them, it's your fault for not eating them correctly.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I should make a chicken pen! I'm guessing my neighbors would call the police or something and get me on a zoning violation. There has to be a no chicken law on the city books.

I was reading an article about people who raise chickens in urban areas, often keeping chicken coops in the backyard. Roosters are the biggest issue, crowing at obscene hours. One lady rigged up a sort of doggy door and kept them in the basement overnight, so the crowing wouldn't disturb the neighbors.

There is no real reason to keep a rooster unless you want to hatch out chicks and therefore need fertilized eggs. Hens lay the same if a rooster is around or not. Hardly any of the common laying breeds can successfully hatch eggs anymore as well as they are only selected for production. We have a couple partridge cochin hens that hatch and raise chicks with great success if we let them but they lay maybe 2/3's what a laying hen will.
We have a few dozen chickens and 4 roosters and they are entertaining to watch them as they woo the ladies, or occaisionally fight over something nice in the compost pile, and the one rooster even chases our cats away from hens with chicks although the mother hen is deterent enough. Some days its sort of like watching wild kingdom off our back porch.
The best eggs for me are the ones in the spring when the hens eat alot of grass, young plants, and worms and bugs they scratch up as they almost totally ignore the regular grain feed. Makes the yolks nearly florescent orange with lots of flavour. In most places its almost impossible to find eggs from grass fed laying hens but if you do its worth the extra money as its much more difficult to keep predators away.

I found a small natural grocery store in my area that carries free range grass fed chicken eggs from a farm east of town. $6 a dozen! Plus they sell all natural free range lamb, beef, and chicken. It's pricey, but I'm going to go up there and try some of it. All of it comes from farms east of town that are a cooperative.

Last edited:
$6/dozen sounds sort of crazy but for the farmer to make it worth his while he probably has to charge the store $3 or 4.
We just sell to our friends and family for $3.50/12 but after expenses we don't make much. The dogs cost $500, feeding them is $400 a year, shelters were $300 in materials, feed in the winter is expensive...

I think you'll like the eggs though, and you'll know they chickens are getting to be chickens, not egg production units...

Free range eggs are not watered down like caged eggs. Costco is selling free range organic eggs 18 per $5.50. Best price I've seen but unknown brand. The local farm $5/dozen but are daily fresh.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
The local farm $5/dozen but are daily fresh.

Are you talking about Ka'Lei Eggs (I assuming you from Hawaii?) I spent $14 and a few cents for 2 trays for large white eggs and a free tray of checked eggs.

I also like to eat balut, but very rarely because hardly anyone sells it here. I imported some here from my trip to the Philippines long time ago. It's a cultural thing.

Balut was sold awhile back in Wahiawa, a mom pop general store further down over the bridge headed towards Haleiwa take the first right headed up Naval Nav Cam you know where all the communications are. Anyways that's where the duck eggs were sold hard to find stuff like that in a store and you need duck eggs to make balut . Owners were Filipino's ... don't know if the store is there but I do recall going there frequently to pick up live blue pincher crab.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
The local farm $5/dozen but are daily fresh.

Are you talking about Ka'Lei Eggs (I assuming you from Hawaii?) I spent $14 and a few cents for 2 trays for large white eggs and a free tray of checked eggs.

I also like to eat balut, but very rarely because hardly anyone sells it here. I imported some here from my trip to the Philippines long time ago. It's a cultural thing.

I'm assuming you mean Hawaiian Maid eggs don't quite understand your pricing but two trays for $14 is over inflated. Mainland eggs are cheaper but not fresh. Local produce even the white eggs are not in that price range.

As far as salt and flavor on eggs goes, I roll with Tony Cachere's.

+1

I have one or two eggs everyday with a slice or three of bacon, and I loves me some Tony Cachere's on my sunny side up eggs.

Just had a couple of three hard boiled eggs with a dash of Konriko Creole Seasoning on them. I think I've pretty well settled on the wal-mart brand organic free range large brown. The taste is great, the price is right, and talk about easy to peel - they practically jump out of the shell when I boil them using my process.

I can't believe some people don't like eggs!

Do you guys ever soft boil them? I really enjoy a soft boiled egg with a runny yolk on a piece of toast for breakfast.

When I was growing up, we had a family friend deliver fresh eggs from her farm once a week. That was all we had for eggs, and boy, did we eat a lot as a family - egg salad sandwhiches for lunch, poached for dinner, cheese souffle, egg'n'bacon pie...

These days, up until recently, my wife and I just bought eggs from the store - either the 'cheapies', or if we felt like splurging, we'd get Omega-3's.

But in the last couple of years, we've been trying to buy better-quality, local grown produce in the summer. This has included eggs, and my wife and I have re-discovred how much we like farm-fresh eggs. My wife commented the other day she can't wait for winter to be over so we can get back to buying local stuff.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
When I was growing up, we had a family friend deliver fresh eggs from her farm once a week. That was all we had for eggs, and boy, did we eat a lot as a family - egg salad sandwhiches for lunch, poached for dinner, cheese souffle, egg'n'bacon pie...

These days, up until recently, my wife and I just bought eggs from the store - either the 'cheapies', or if we felt like splurging, we'd get Omega-3's.

But in the last couple of years, we've been trying to buy better-quality, local grown produce in the summer. This has included eggs, and my wife and I have re-discovred how much we like farm-fresh eggs. My wife commented the other day she can't wait for winter to be over so we can get back to buying local stuff.
+1 I like the buy local aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back