2005 CBR1000RR Repsol 10W50 4T Racing 5003 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol 10W50 4T Racing Synthetic

Oil Analyzers Comments "Wear metal(s) appear to be high - possibly from normal break-in - change oil and filter if not done when sampled"

Miles on Engine: 10,070 miles
Miles on Oil: 5,003 miles
Time on Oil: 359 days
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 M1-108
Air Filters: BMC Racing

Al 84
Ba 0
B 103
Ca 473
Cr 1
Cu 18
Fe 62
Pb 1
Mg 801
Mo 9
Ni 0
P 915
Si 21
Ag 0
Na 3
Sn 2
Zn 1059
K 0
V 0
Ti 0
%Fuel %Water 0
Soot/Solids N/A
Glycol NEG
OXID N/A
NITR N/A
V100C 10.44
TBN 4.49

Based on this analysis, I've now gone to no more than 3500 - 4,000 miles on this oil, or once per season whichever comes first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear metals seem high but I have not read that many UOAs from relatively new inline fours. I have seen Honda Goldwings with near similar results though so maybe this is normal. In any event I thing you are doing right by changing oil earlier than 5k.

Detergents / dispersants are a different combination than what we see in domestics labels. I noticed this in the Klotz UOA earlier this month as well. Looks like low in calcium but Boron and Magnesium might be used to balance it out. Typical M1, Red Line, Amsoil, etc numbers are about 2000 - 3000 Calcium with 100 - 200 Boron (not present in Amsoil)and usually just double digit Magnesium (Harley oil being the exception with about 800).

It would be interesting to see a run with another brand that we have UOAs on like M1 4T or Amsoil MCV, or Red Line. Not saying anything bad about Repsol but I'd like to see if the wear metals would come down.

just a FYI,the "newer" JASO MA1 and MA2 are a bit different from the "older" MA.

of relavence here is a need to meet,if they are actually going to have the actual JASO seal MA1 or MA2:

sulfated ash mass%=1.2 max
phosphorus mass%= >.08-
i seem to notice this more on euro formulated MC oils than american ones.....and yes,it's about the cats and cleaner air,imo. JASO has been slowly following PCMO in this regard.

correction,the sulphated ash max on all of the JASO ratings is the same.it's the Ph limits that's different and correct above..

Well if I am reading it right, it looks to me like it sheared down to a 30 weight. You went from a 50 weight to a light 30 weight in 5k miles.
shocked2.gif
That is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned, even in a shared sump. Repsol is an expensive oil. Could someone else look at viscosity and verify what I am seeing?

If it really did shear that much, that could be a reason for higher wear metal concentrations. I would have expected more from a Repsol labeled oil. If it were me, I'd switch to another oil and see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Well if I am reading it right, it looks to me like it sheared down to a 30 weight. You went from a 50 weight to a light 30 weight in 5k miles.
shocked2.gif
That is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned, even in a shared sump. Repsol is an expensive oil. Could someone else look at viscosity and verify what I am seeing?

If it really did shear that much, that could be a reason for higher wear metal concentrations. I would have expected more from a Repsol labeled oil. If it were me, I'd switch to another oil and see what happens.

I've seen 50s shear down to upper 12 cSt or low 13 and consider that at least noteworthy but never into the 10 cSt range at 100C. The analyzer should have flagged this big time. I don't know that I've seen a Repsol UOA before so maybe it is an anomaly. All in all with the wear metals and shearing (assuming that reading is accurate) I would look at using something else.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
shocked2.gif

I've seen 50s shear down to upper 12 cSt or low 13 and consider that at least noteworthy but never into the 10 cSt range at 100C. The analyzer should have flagged this big time. I don't know that I've seen a Repsol UOA before so maybe it is an anomaly. All in all with the wear metals and shearing (assuming that reading is accurate) I would look at using something else.

Wow, somebody brought this thread back from the dead. I did this test nearly 2 years ago.

Anyway...these bikes redline at 12,000 RPM or better so they are a little tough on oil. Even Mobil1 Extended Performance 15W50 sheared down from a V100C of 18 down to 12.

You can see the full results on my site if interested:
http://www.speedysgarage.net/hondacbr1000rrweb/1000RR_maintenance/1000RR_oilanalysis/oilanalysis.htm

I didn't realize the OP was from 08, but sure nuf is.

Speedy have you tried anything else and done a UOA since? M1 15W50 is known to shear. That is it's weak spot. I think I have only seen one UOA where it stayed in grade and it was hanging on by it's finger nails. The M1 motorcycle oils stay in grade very well. In fact usually flat line at the starting point up to 5k plus.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
I didn't realize the OP was from 08, but sure nuf is.

Speedy have you tried anything else and done a UOA since? M1 15W50 is known to shear. That is it's weak spot. I think I have only seen one UOA where it stayed in grade and it was hanging on by it's finger nails. The M1 motorcycle oils stay in grade very well. In fact usually flat line at the starting point up to 5k plus.

No, I've moved on from that project. I still run the Repsol, and change it once a season. Although I didn't ride much last year. Bike now has 13K on it and is for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back