Oil for tuned LS1 Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all-

I signed up here this morning for help with lubrication in my car. My buddy decided I should switch oils and has made me paranoid. I drive the car infrequently, and usually leave the oil in there for months at a time. The car gets between 5-10k miles a year and I would like to start racing it next summer. I live in NY so the temperatures can get pretty hot. I have switched between Royal Purple 5w30, German Castrol 0w30, Mobil 1 0w40, and now Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. The car ran well with all of them, but the motor has been rebuilt with a cam so I only have used German Castrol and the Pennzoil on the new motor. I was thinking to switch over to Amsoil 0w30, but a friend of mine is suggesting Motul. For a weekend ride that occasionally sees some track time, what oil would be best for an LS1? Thanks in advance

Jacob

Redline 5W-30, Motul 300V 5W-30, Mobil 1 0W-40/TDT 5W40, Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30, Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 would be my picks, probably in that order too.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Redline 5W-30, Motul 300V 5W-30, Mobil 1 0W-40/TDT 5W40, Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 would be my picks, probably in that order too.

+1, I am a redline fan to

Hi,
Jacob - Welcome to BITOG - ejoy the experience!

There is no magic oil regardless of the Brand and all the advertising that goes with it

Here in OZ GM had many problems with the LS1 and advised all owners to stick with the FF which was M1 10W-30. I know that the oil consumption issues were largely resolved by a shift to M1 15W-50 which "masked" GM's production quality issues

Of the lubricant's you mention you may get very good results from M1 0W-40 which has a great user and Manufacturer reputation going back about a decade. What's more it is readily available and has a robust HTHS viscosity

Get 10W-30 Redline Ester Grp V. (Some of their oils are now PAO)and don't switch and don't look back. That's what everybody at the dragstrip runs for the most part.

Oil filter...Amsoil EaO...all the way...

If you want the best combo...this is it....

With track time don't cut corners on oil or filter changes. Personally, if I raced it.. I would do a change after every race and then every 4,000 miles. That's me...normal overkill...
wink.gif
But I know this will make a difference in longevity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591
Get 10W-30 Redline Ester Grp V. (Some of their oils are now PAO)and don't switch and don't look back.

54.gif

Also, RL 5W-30 has the same high HTHS, FP, and NOACK as the 10W-30, and it doesn't use VIIs to do it either.

Get 10W-30 Redline Ester Grp V. (Some of their oils are now PAO)and don't switch and don't look back. That's what everybody at the dragstrip runs for the most part.

Oil filter...Amsoil EaO...all the way...

If you want the best combo...this is it....

With track time don't cut corners on oil or filter changes. Personally, if I raced it.. I would do a change after every race and then every 4,000 miles. That's me...normal overkill...
wink.gif
But I know this will make a difference in longevity.

What Red Line oils did they switch to PAOs?

I would recommend Redline oils also.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Get 10W-30 Redline Ester Grp V. (Some of their oils are now PAO)and don't switch and don't look back.

54.gif

Also, RL 5W-30 has the same high HTHS, FP, and NOACK as the 10W-30, and it doesn't use VIIs to do it either.

Thanks for the info guys! How would I know which weight would be best. This is not the first time I heard a recommendation for Redline, so I think I am going to try it. I understand there isn't an overarching "best" oil, but I imagine there are other LS1 owners that have determined a good oil.

If you want a recommendation, call Dave at Red Line. (800) 624-7958

I think RL 5W-30 will be perfect for you though, it performs like a 40-weight in the ways that matter.

My top 3 would be:

Redline, Amsoil or Valvoline Synpower. Depends on how much money I have in my pocket at the time.

Last edited:
I have had 3 LS1 cars. A 98 Z-28, An 01 Z-28 and my current 00 WS6.
I have always run Mobil 1 10W-30. All three cars have had N2O. The 01 had a cam as does the WS6 (.228 .230 .571 .592 at 112 LSA)
10W-30 will be fine for your application. I have never used any oil and put 150,000 miles on the 98. 76,000 on the 01 and the 00 Currently has 53,000. The cam went in at 19,000 miles.
Lots of data on it over at LS1tech.com. LOTS of LS1 cars run a good 10W-30.

Pete591- FWIW redline has always used POE with PAO basestocks. They never switched any of their oils to mainly PAO. Not sure where you heard that but its incorrect. Obviously some of there street oils have more ZDDP and other additives but they have prided themselves from the beginning in being one of the few companies to use POE in ALL of their oils.

Last edited:
I recall some statements from RL saying their oils are POE and they only use PAO as an additive carrier.

Last edited:
awesome info guys! you guys are great! my question is, which is considered "thicker," 5w30 or 10w30? am I correct in assuming 10w30 would be better for hot weather?

Thanks very much for all the input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back