Just too Sporty ?(for this car)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's strange when you get a bunch of people talking about tires....

Anyways, we were dicussing what kind of tire one of my co-workers should get for his brother's 2000 Cavalier, base model 14s (195/70). It's his first car, and his first set of new tires. And he wants something sporty, but cheaper (The kid is buying them himself)

A few of my Suggestions: Cooper CS4 (59/tire TD) BFG Traction TAs (60/tire TR)

This one guy bashes my choices....CS4s-wear strange/TAs-Get hard and noisy...

Tells the kid any decent T rated tire should give you sportier ride that you are looking for on a smaller size tire (14s) Just make a difference if it is Federal or a goodyear tire, just upgrade from that S rated tire.....

I can see where he going with it (buddy's Saturn SL1 went from S to T rated, gave it some nice handling), and call me old fashioned, but a little extra traction can't hurt......

Of course, then I threw out Cooper Responses and BFG Touring TAs, both T rated.....

I still believe in a good tire....what do you think?

Here's my thought: sporty and 2000 base Cavalier are mutually exclusive concepts.

In Michigan? Tell the kid to get good all season tires that are capable in snow at least. S to T rated for "sportiness"?
06.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I can see where he going with it (buddy's Saturn SL1 went from S to T rated, gave it some nice handling), and call me old fashioned, but a little extra traction can't hurt......

Going from S to T is not really going to give you any extra traction. If you're talking about wet traction, look for tires that are AA or at least A rated.

All in all, considering the size (195/70/14), I'm afraid nothing will really be sporty due to the huge sidewall, unfortunately.

sporty? wrong comment for that car/setup.

I do prefer a stiffer sidewall (meaning an H-rated 195/0r-14 tire on my cars that take that size), but Id never call it sporty.

Best set of tires I`ve ever had happened to be the cheapest ones that would fit on my car..........Kumhos. They`re absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!

These 2 tires are good season tires at reasonable price and long lasting:
Yokohama AVID TOURING-S $50/ea
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons $64/ea

Michelin HydroEdge is very good but a little steep at $86/ea

Yokohama AVID TOURING-S and Michelin HydroEdge are made in USA, Pirelli P4 Four Seasons is made in China or Brazil. Michelin has $70 rebate for 4 tires so that the cost is reduced by $17.5 each.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Best set of tires I`ve ever had happened to be the cheapest ones that would fit on my car..........Kumhos. They`re absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!

What type? KR21s?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Here's my thought: sporty and 2000 base Cavalier are mutually exclusive concepts.

In Michigan? Tell the kid to get good all season tires that are capable in snow at least. S to T rated for "sportiness"?
06.gif

Well, I know that, but it's not easy telling that to a 19 year old....
21.gif

That's what we tried to tell him...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
These 2 tires are good season tires at reasonable price and long lasting:
Yokohama AVID TOURING-S $50/ea
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons $64/ea

Michelin HydroEdge is very good but a little steep at $86/ea

Yokohama AVID TOURING-S and Michelin HydroEdge are made in USA, Pirelli P4 Four Seasons is made in China or Brazil. Michelin has $70 rebate for 4 tires so that the cost is reduced by $17.5 each.

Yeah, we mentioned that Yokos too...I think those would be good for him too.

I personally like the Coopers myself, but considering the Yokos myself down the road....

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
have fun finding "sporty" in a 195/70-14

Yep.

I think on my Cav( next year), I'm just going to put a cheaper set on, then upgrade the wheel size down the road...

Of course, If I tell the kid that, he's going to have one pricey wheel/tire set...

He may have an alignment problem.

Originally Posted By: rpn453

He may have an alignment problem.

You know, I was thinking that too...made me wonder...

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
General Altimax

Cheap,All-Season,and Good Grip.

Not the cheapest but you need a little coin to get good tires.

If they didn't have temp issues here (getting rock hard), it ould be on the list...

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Goodyear assurance Tripleted. Quiet, smooth riding, excellent in inclement weather, and grips like you wouldn't believe.

You have 15s, right?

I haven't heard a peep on anyone with 14s....though I would assume they would be the same.

May give that a try with him too....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back