What kind of oil should I run in my air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently acquired a 1978 air compressor. It has a Wisconsin motor on it Model AENL-3, it has no oil filter on it. I was told to use, non detergent oil in it. I use it a lot about 50 hours a week and also use it in the winter, in michigan. I kinda want to use a 5-w30 syn in it what do you guys think?

Synthetic would be great for that much useage, though on an engine that old I would go with a 40w oil. Maybe a good synthetic diesel oil.

I definately wouldn't use ND oil.

Moisture in the air falls out upon compression and ends up in the oil, where you want it to separate for draining. Detergents in motor oils will emulsify the water. You are better off with an oil formulated for compressors, most of which have strong anti-oxidants and rust inhibitors.

Tom NJ

OK, first things first.

Are you asking about oil for the compressor, or the engine that drives it? (or do they share a sump?)

Engine? GC in the winter. Any dino HDEO or a straight weight in the summer. There's no need for a lot of fancy anti-corrosion oils since it's in constant use. You'll be changing the oil every week or two, no sense in breaking the bank. Furthermore, the GC may be a waste winter or not since it sounds like you start it once a day and leave it run. If you want extended OCIs go with something like Amsoil ACD or ASE (no VIIs, heavy on the addpack)

Compressor? That will be where non-detergent is required. If they share a sump you have a conundrum on your hands. Air compressors shouldn't use detergent oil as it can gum up the valves. If they don't share a sump, Amsoil makes a couple of nice oils you could probably run a high number of hours on between changes. I don't know what weight you need so it's tough to make a call.

My 1-2HP direct-drive compressor indicated that *IF* proper compressor oil couldn't be found a couple of select syn motor oils could be used in the compressor. These were M1 5W30 and Chevron syn 5W30 IIRC. Maybe, possibly, perhaps in the case of a shared sump you might be able to find an oil that will protect the engine far better than ND without destroying the compressor.

For the portable air compressors I've owned, I've just used what ever 30wt engine oil I had on hand. I've never found water in the compressor sumps with my light usage. If the crankcase breather is working the way it should and the unit gets run up to temp, you shouldn't have visible water in the compressor oil. Well.. I should say I haven't seen it on my cheapo stuff.

Joel

Last edited:
I was talking about the engine. I use compressor oil in the compressor it's self. Like I say I was just gonna use a syn 30w but then I was told I would be stupid to use anything but non-detergent beacuse thats probably all its ever had in it.

What would be "stupid" is to use non detergent oil in the engine. Period. That is a totally outdated, totally obsolete rating and recommendation. There's a reason you can't even find 30wND at most department stores.

If that's all it's had it's entire life, put a better oil in it, and change it a little sooner than usual on your first change. It may do some extra cleaning work in your engine.

Seriously, ND oil is not for engines in the year 2009. Also, with the number of hours you listed, in cold weather, synthetic 40w oil would be an ideal choice. Old motors like that like thicker oil, especially if they're a little worn out.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
Non-Detergent Straight 30w

I was assuming the compressor, the engine I'd use a HD 30 or 40 weight depending on how hard the engine is working.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
If you want a 30:

ACD SAE 30/10W-30

or

WCT Marine 10W-30

or

Amsoil Small Engine SAE 30/10W-30

More choices if you want a 40. All these oils can take abuse.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tuckman
For the sump I would use the Amsoil ACD or ASE with an extended OCI.

Extended OCIs are ALWAYS a bad idea on an engine without an oil filter! That is the main thing you need to keep on top of, change the oil no matter how good it was when you put it in! It's not really that you need new oil, rather, your oil is full of harmful particles.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Do those particles really cause harm in an air compressor or settle out of suspension into the sump?

In a splash lube engine there is no "settle into the sump". The entire contents of the sump are violently flung throughout the engine...much like putting it in a blender.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Do those particles really cause harm in an air compressor or settle out of suspension into the sump?

There's continuing confusion in this thread about whether we're talking about compressor lube or engine lube.

The OP stated that he is talking about engine lube, so it doesn't matter what the application is - it's a small-engine with no filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back