Mag Tube Extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a 3 shot magazine tube extension for an 870 express, I'm leaning towards a TacStar but I am open to suggestions.

I have had a TacStar 3 round extension on a 1100 12 gauge for about 15 years. I keep it loaded with one round less than max to not over compress the spring. Never had any feeding problems. Cycles everything from light #8 shot to slugs and 000 buck. I am happy with the TacStar.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I like the Choate tubes.

A friend has an 870 with a Choate tube and it looks to be of stamped construction and he said he had to cut the spring, I'll pass. My brother has TacStar's and Nordic Components tubes and they are made from bar stock and no spring cutting.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Be aware that you're probably going to have to modify the gun to make it work.

Yeah, my brother has the actual reamer used to remove the dimples in the 870 mag tube.

I've got the TacStar for my 870 Express, but haven't installed it because I didn't want to grind down the "bump" in my original tube. Now that I've got a Dremel, it's on my long list of things to do.

There's a better way other than grinding holes in your mag tube. I used a 17mm extended socket, along with plenty of lube to remove the dimples. Basically tap the socket in slowly and remove it repeatedly until it goes in & out easily. You want to do this slowly lest it gets stuck inside; take your time. Once it's inside and the dimples are as smooth as they're going to get, use a wooden dowel with a hammer to flatten the dimples out more while the socket is still inside. This method will maintain the finish and integrity of the metal. I've performed this on mine and have had no feeding or binding issues whatsoever.
As for magazine extensions, it's hard to beat the quality of Wilson Combat (Scattergun Technologies).

I already removed the dimples with the reamer,it left the tube very smooth, plus I am using a Vang SS mag follower, so no feeding issues. I looked at the Scattergun Technologies mag tubes, they seem to be of top quality, but they only come in 1 or 2 shot, I want a 3 shot.

Ah, I see. Guess it would help if I had read the thread first
tongue.gif
...nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back