M1 0w30 in a VW 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Euro specs are for Euro driving. Are you going to run flat out at 130mph all day?

I think that should be 130 Kph, not mph. Which is 80 mph. That's the h/way speed limit in many parts in Europe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Euro specs are for Euro driving.

Not so sure that is 100% the case... there are cleanliness, viscosity retention, and other specs to it as well.

How much do they differ from API SM, and ILSAC GF-4, as examples? maybe not much... however euro specs that DO focus on utilizing ACEA A3 are generally more robust, and there is data showing wear rates vs HT/HS viscosities...

A good VW tech I have talked with has mentioned that there is a significantly higher amount of varnishing on engines (2.5L included) running on conventional vs. syn. is this a no brainer? maybe... but the combination of all aspects may point to the necessity of the euro specs for the engines. Their designs may be different than other engines, and if this is the case, there may be need for augmentation of our "standards" whether the engines are "exercised" or not...

JHZR2 brings up a excellent point. For comparison, go to the Lubrizol link that shows the areas of coverage addressed by the different oil specs. VW's 504/507 oil covers a much greater area of the graph while API SM pales in comparison.

It's for this reason that I try to stick with OEM specs or with products I know meet or exceed the OEM's requirements.

If the 2.5 liter I-5 Rabbit wants 502.00 then that's what I'd give it. There truly is a great difference.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RP/PC/index.html

Just being a 502.00-certified oil isn't enough. 502s come in a variety of weights. You should be using a 502 oil in the recommended weight for your engine. 0w30 isn't recommended, GC or not.

Originally Posted By: Thorzdad
You should be using a 502 oil in the recommended weight for your engine. 0w30 isn't recommended, GC or not.

Which VW documentation states that? I don't believe the owner's manual specifically insists on using 5w-40.

Precisely. The manual says VW 502.00. It doesn't say anywhere "nothing but 5W-40."

Last edited:
I'm only stating he needs to use a 502.00 certified oil in a weight recommended for his car.
There should be a chart in the owner's manual that shows the recommended weight ranges based on ambient temperature and driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: jhenle
Precisely. The manual says VW 502.00. It doesn't say anywhere "nothing but 5W-40."

My '00 VW GTI manual specifically states that 5w40 oil meeting VW 502.00 is to be used, unless it is not available. In that case, the manual states that 5w30 can be used, so long as it meets VW 502.00.

There is some fine print at the bottom of the page that states that if neither 5w40 nor 5w30 is available, to use an oil of the proper viscosity for the climate in which the vehicle is to be operated, and that said oil should meet VW 502.00.

I use "Q" HP 10w30, which doesn't meet any VW spec.

The manual of my '98 Jetta only says VW502.00

There is a viscosity chart, however it's not in the manual but in the haynes repair book I bought. Which in turn makes no mention of VW502.00
54.gif

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Originally Posted By: jhenle

My '00 VW GTI manual specifically states that 5w40 oil meeting VW 502.00 is to be used, unless it is not available. In that case, the manual states that 5w30 can be used, so long as it meets VW 502.00.

There is some fine print at the bottom of the page that states that if neither 5w40 nor 5w30 is available, to use an oil of the proper viscosity for the climate in which the vehicle is to be operated, and that said oil should meet VW 502.00.

Just because a 10-year-old owners manual refers to an obsolete specification, or fails to state that synthetic oil is required or at least strongly recommended, is no reason not to use the best currently-available oil that is suitable.

And for those whose engines are still under warranty, that goes double. Use a 504.00/507.00 rated oil instead of a 502.00, because it's better. A couple dollars every 5k or 10k miles is cheaper than a replacement engine, when the original one should have lasted much longer.

Personally, I would not use GC 0w30 or M1 0w40. There are better oils out there.

"Personally, I would not use GC 0w30 or M1 0w40. There are better oils out there."

Uuummm.....not many!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back