2002 Chevy clutch slave cylinder problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
HEy all, i need some help i got a 2002 chevy 2500hd. the slave cylinder exploded on me i got the new one but it wont prime. i cant get fluid from the resivouir to the slave cylinder any help is most appreciated

Originally Posted By: Petrou
HEy all, i need some help i got a 2002 chevy 2500hd. the slave cylinder exploded on me i got the new one but it wont prime. i cant get fluid from the resivouir to the slave cylinder any help is most appreciated

There is a special tool for bleeding the slave cyl. I think you can get it at a good parts store.

Looks like you may need to vacuum it in? I've seen people have similar problems with Ranger slaves.... Here is bulletin, and under that is the original procedure.

Bulletin No.: 01-07-31-002B

Date: November 01, 2006

INFORMATION
Subject:
Improved Bleeding Procedure for Hydraulic Clutch Release System

Models:
2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2007 and Prior Chevrolet and GMC 6-7F T-Series Medium Duty Tilt Cab Models
2007 and Prior Isuzu F-Series Medium Duty Tilt Cab Models
2006-2007 HUMMER H3

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-31-002A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle). This bulletin is being issued to inform dealers of an improved procedure to aid in the ease of bleeding the clutch hydraulic system for the above listed vehicles. This procedure can be used anytime air is introduced into the hydraulic system. Following this procedure may also reduce the number of unnecessary parts replaced for low clutch pedal reserve and high shift effort.

Verify that all the lines and fittings are dry and secure.

Clean the dirt and grease from the reservoir cap in order to ensure that no foreign substances enter the system.

Remove the reservoir cap.

Fill the reservoir to the proper level with the required fluid.

Attach the J 43485 (Adapter) to the J 35555 (Mity Vac), or equivalent.

Brake fluid will deteriorate the rubber on J 43485. Use a clean shop cloth to wipe away the fluid after each use.

Place and hold the adapter on the reservoir filler neck to ensure a tight fit. In some cases, the adapter will fit into the reservoir opening.

Apply a vacuum of 51-68 kPa (15-20 hg) and remove the adapter.

Refill the reservoir to the proper level.

Repeat Steps 6 and 7.

If needed, refill the reservoir and continue to pull a vacuum until no more bubbles can be seen in the reservoir or until the fluid level no longer drops.

The vehicle will move if started in gear before the Actuator Cylinder is refilled and operational. Start the vehicle the first time in neutral to help prevent personal injury from vehicle movement and see if the transmission will shift easily into gear.

Pump the clutch pedal until firm (to refill actuator cylinder).

Add additional fluid if needed.

Test drive vehicle to ensure proper operation.

1. Ensure the reservoir is filled to the fill line with new hydraulic clutch fluid. Add fluid if required. Use hydraulic clutch fluid GM P/N 12345347 (Canadian P/N 10953517) or equivalent.
2. Press the clutch pedal in completely to the floor panel.
3. Open the bleeder screw in order to purge the air from the system. If equipped with a NV 3500 or NV 4500 transmission, the bleeder is located on the clutch actuator cylinder, if equipped with a ZF S6-650 transmission the bleeder is located on the master cylinder housing.
4. Close the bleeder and release the clutch pedal. Important: Ensure no air is drawn into the clutch system.
5. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 until all the air is out of the clutch system.

5.1. Check and refill the reservoir as needed while bleeding.
5.2. After bleeding, pump the clutch pedal several times. If clutch engagement is not satisfactory, repeat the bleed procedure.

6. If the previous procedures are unsuccessful, perform the following steps.

6.1. Pump the clutch pedal very fast with full strokes for 30 seconds.
6.2. Stop pumping and let the air escape into the reservoir while moving the rubber pad up and down 12 mm (0.5 inch) for 30 seconds.
6.3. Repeat this procedure as necessary.

My car has a bleeder valve on the slave itself,and one on the fender well. The way I do it is to have someone pump the clutch a few times then hold it down,I then open up the bleeder valve and let the fluid run into a bottle. Then I have them pull the pedal up,and I open the clutch master and add fluid,making sure it doesn`t run dry throughout the bleeding process. I repeat,doing the fender well and the slave bleeding point until no more air bubbles come out (I use a clear hose to bleed out the valves).

Last edited:
Are you doing a two man bleed?
The timing of both participants is crucial!
One mistake and you are back to square one!

Open the bleeder and say "Down".
Shut the bleeder and say "Up".
No deviation is permissible.
Repeat until the fluid is bubble free.
BTW, pumping the pedal does nothing but introduce problems.

A vacuum bleeder is great - but keep your master cylinder full.

the transmision is still out of it. i was trying to get fluid through the line first but it doesnt want to make its way through, i was just gonna put it back together and use the two man system. open then down, close then up. thanks for the help

A vacuum bleeder works well.
A Mity VAc copy can be had for cheap, and will work well for the occasional brake and clutch bleed.

brought home a mity vac from work. tried getting bleeding still nada. tried different ways of bleeding, consulted with my other fellow mechanics at work. still nothing, any gm techs with any ideas. this is a 6 speed manual trans. thanks for the help. oh and i do not have the adapter to fit onto the resiviour. thanks for the help

Petrou - No adapter is needed for a Mity-Vac brake bleed.
Fill the reservoir and loosen the bleeders one at a time, with the vacuum applied at 5-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back