Luvin' the MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in Terry's findings. I have a feeling, but lets wait and see. MMO flat out works, and is growing a nice fan base here on BITOG!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm interested in Terry's findings. I have a feeling, but lets wait and see. MMO flat out works, and is growing a nice fan base here on BITOG!

I can't believe how well this thread is doing... Nice to see all the people using it.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I can't believe how well this thread is doing... Nice to see all the people using it.

+1.......Yes Sir! MMO is more than snake oil. I hope more members will realize it especially as gas prices climb again, and the winter time comes.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Meh... Those who know use it, and those who don't, oh well...

Their loss, you lead a horse............Anyway, what I'm happy about is the tone of this thread is civil, and the fan base is growing! It's all good.

Originally Posted By: elwaylite
The Lucus UCL is very pricey for sure.

Yeah but I notice better performance with the Lucas.

If it works for you, stick with it! Some guys are reporting good results with TC-W3 as well.

I would concur that the Lucas made my 2.4 toyo less harsh, but the cleaning addition of the MMO has me intruiged.

I already run a Techron shot at each oil change, so I may only need a UCL. I've tried to read up on it, but it appears the only thing a UCL really does is smooth out an engine. This is not a bad thing, but I dont see it as a longevity issue.

Real world, I think changing your oil regularly with the good stuff and a Techron treatment is prob all you really need to do.

Last edited:
I had good luck with Lucas, I also got it for fairly cheap at 25+tax Canadian, I posted pictures of my spark plugs at 50k miles, the last 10k miles were on Lucas, I don't know how they looked like before I started adding Lucas, but they looked good never the less, so I put them back in.

Now, as I used up Lucas, I started adding MMO, I will post pictures of the spark plugs at around 60-65k miles and see if there was any cleaning.

I would concur that the Lucas made my 2.4 toyo less harsh, but the cleaning addition of the MMO has me intruiged.

I already run a Techron shot at each oil change, so I may only need a UCL. I've tried to read up on it, but it appears the only thing a UCL really does is smooth out an engine. This is not a bad thing, but I dont see it as a longevity issue.

Real world, I think changing your oil regularly with the good stuff and a Techron treatment is prob all you really need to do.

The UCL will make the engine feel smoother, and keep the plugs in good shape as long as you stay at or below the suggested dose. You can OD with MMO and not foul the plugs, but why tempt fate? You can definitely foul plugs with TC-W3, quite easily in fact.

As far as longevity goes a UCL like MMO or TC-W3 coats the cyl walls with a thin film of oil. It is IMO that the thin film of oil reduces ring and cyl wear, makes a better seal, and might increase compression slightly, which would explain the better smoother running engine. However I've never had to tear an engine down for a rebuilt so I never mic'd up one of my engines,. I have nothing to go by, for the people looking for cold hard facts. I've rebuilt engines that were shot, history unknown.

Where a top oil also shines is in cars that sit for long periods of time w/o being used. The top oil will prevent flash rusting, and protect the cylinders and rings from dry starts., reducing wear. Those examples plus the fuel savings make it worth the expense, to me.

As a side note, my plugs stay nice and clean, and the porcelin has a slight pink hue to it when I pull the plugs.

Im just still amazed how it smooths the idle, just by adding 3 ounces of Lucas to 10 gallons.

I`m not a real fan of Lucas products,but I definitely like their upper cylinder lube.
thumbsup2.gif

I still dont quite understand what it does that causes a smoother idle and acceleration. This car only has 7700 miles on it.

Whether it is MMO or Lucas Gas Treatment it may have something too do with lubing the fuel system which may make the valves seal better, which gives better combustion, just my thought.

Also lubing the piston rings enabling better compression, leaving a film on the cylinder walls which allows for a smoother up/down stroke for the piston with less friction. Also makes the injector spray patter more even because the injector parts are lubricated.

Many benefits to a UCL IMO.
wink.gif

The oil film probably increases compression slightly as demarpaint said above, and StevieC mentioned again. There are a lot of benefits, and the increased mpgs a lot of us are seeing are another bonus, making the addition of MMO profitable. Profitable since the added cost of buying the MMO is more than paid for by the savings in gas.

AD

Have not used MMO in several years but do use Lucas UCL each time we buy fuel for our vehicles @ a mixture of around 2.5 to 3 oz per 10 gallons of unleaded gasoline.

We buy it at a Truck Stop in the Gallon Jug to save costs and keep a 5.25 oz bottle in the vehicles that we reuse. I fill 5.25 oz bottle about half full and when down around 10 gallons, add the Lucas and top off the tank with fuel.

How about rotating using MMO and not using MMO?

For instance, one tank of MMO, then around 2 tanks without MMO, then another tank of MMO - on and on...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back