Does relief valve PSI matter much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: widman
Quote:
You are making that statement based on the assumption that a filter with a 23 psi bypass setting is MUCH MORE restrictive than one that has a 11 psi setting.

No, I'm making the assumption that the rest of the filter is the same, as is very often the case, at least to the eye when cut open.

If that's the case, and you're saying a filter with a bypass setting of 11 is no more restrictive to flow than one with a bypass setting of 23 psi, then the higher the better because it means that filter can take more PSID and also more loading with use.

Originally Posted By: daman
From what i've seen filters/media is the same("'s and thickness)a higher bypass on a given engine would stress the media more force more oil through it as it's getting plugged,less likely to go into bypass upon cold starts etc, but if a filters of good quality with a nice center tube i don't see a problem. I run a higher bypass my self on things,media always looks fine upon inspection.

Agreed ... and in a case like that the designer has probably set the bypass setting higher knowing the application is on a high volume pumped engine, and knows the media can perform and withstand a much higher PSID in use.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
So, if I start using a Ford Racing filter instead of the regular Motorcraft FL 820S, the racing filter's much higher bypass pressure only means that more of my oil gets filtered before it opens? In practical terms, for a street v6, does it take a WOT before it opens (assuming its not clogged)?

It will reduce flow at relief compared to a lower setting filter. If you have typical volume and typical viscosity ..and typical operations there is absolutely no benefit to a higher bypass setting.

It's one step below the most foolish thing done by so many SBC hi-per strokes ..the defeat of the bypass mechanism.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
This might be a very primitive way of thinking, but I think I will run the 14610 with the higher PSI bypass setting in the summer and the lower bypass settings, like the Wix in the winter. Does that sound logical in an area that gets well below freezing in the winter?

The bypass setting on the PureONE is probably set a little higher for two reasons: a) it's probably has slightly more PSID because of high filtering efficiency, and b) it's claimed by Purolator to be an extended OCI filter, which means they have set the bypass a little higher so it can load up and be safer from going into bypass mode.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I typically run 5W-30 year round.

If it's full synthetic is might be OK, but MI gets some cold days for sure. Yes, the 0W-30 might be better winter oil, no matter what filter you use. At cold temps like that, ANY filter has the potential to bypass on cold starts.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
So, if I start using a Ford Racing filter instead of the regular Motorcraft FL 820S, the racing filter's much higher bypass pressure only means that more of my oil gets filtered before it opens? In practical terms, for a street v6, does it take a WOT before it opens (assuming its not clogged)?

It will reduce flow at relief compared to a lower setting filter. If you have typical volume and typical viscosity ..and typical operations there is absolutely no benefit to a higher bypass setting.

It's one step below the most foolish thing done by so many SBC hi-per strokes ..the defeat of the bypass mechanism.

"Reduced flow at relief" ... (I'm assuming he's talking oil pump pressure relief) will be determined only by the filter's flow restriction characteristics and the oil pump volume output, not it's bypass valve setting. I'd imagine a racing filter is pretty high flow, and therefore relatively low in flow restriction ... but will also probably have worse filter efficiency than a none racing filter.

The reason racers use a "racing filter" like that is so they ensure adequate flow rate (due to lower filter restriction) with an engine using a high volume pump and thicker oil. There might be some sacrificing of filtering efficiency to help achieve that. The bypass is set pretty high due to the large PSID you'd see with a ton of relatively thick oil being forced through the filter.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Agreed ... and in a case like that the designer has probably set the bypass setting higher knowing the application is on a high volume pumped engine, and knows the media can perform and withstand a much higher PSID in use.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

The bypass setting on the PureONE is probably set a little higher for two reasons: a) it's probably has slightly more PSID because of high filtering efficiency, and b) it's claimed by Purolator to be an extended OCI filter, which means they have set the bypass a little higher so it can load up and be safer from going into bypass mode.

Agreed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back