Surge protectors???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a new one for the second computer what's a good one that
really works like it should for sensitive equipment,computers?

Just make sure it regulates current so there are no fluctuations. Over time, that can be worse than a surge as it will cause all sorts of equipment failures. Once you find one that does that, check it with a multimeter to make sure the potential across the outlets doesn't change more than 0.1V over several minutes.

If you're gung-ho about clean power, get a decent UPS. Most surge protectors don't do anything more than sacrifice themselves in an overvolt situation, and sometimes too late at that.

Nope not gung ho just somthing to thats pretty good does it's job for a reasonable price.

I haven't coughed up for one of these, but they have a good story, http://www.brickwall.com/ I did install a MOV based whole house surge protector in my breaker box. I am willing to play around in it, but am not about to touch the service wiring.

I have an Intermatic surge protector I installed several years ago.

I haven't lost anything due to lightning yet, even some strikes that blew out the cable TV service didn't damage any of my stuff.

n1639865325_99876_5767.jpg

Originally Posted By: brianl703

I haven't lost anything due to lightning yet, even some strikes that blew out the cable TV service didn't damage any of my stuff.

n1639865325_99876_5767.jpg

so that covers the whole house?

That's correct. This works better because a surge protector requires a good ground to work. The quality of the ground available at the load center is going to be much better than that available at an outlet tens of feet away with multiple splices in the ground wire.

Thanks brian i'll research that also..not a bad price on that too,,whats the life spand on somthing like that,do they start going bad at say 5-10 years??

I have been told, (perhaps incorrectly) that these setups actually use about $100 worth of electricity per year. Have I been told wrong?

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I have been told, (perhaps incorrectly) that these setups actually use about $100 worth of electricity per year. Have I been told wrong?

Yes. I haven't put an ammeter on it to see how much electricity it actually uses, but the surge protector produces no heat at all. If it were consuming enough power to run up the bill $100 a year--it would be warm. Based on a 10 cent per kwh rate, it would need to pull about 112W to run the bill up that high. I can assure you that a metal box that small which consumed 112W of power would be quite toasty indeed!

I actually expect it only uses enough power to make the LEDs on it glow, and that's it.

Originally Posted By: daman
Thanks brian i'll research that also..not a bad price on that too,,whats the life spand on somthing like that,do they start going bad at say 5-10 years??

I've had mine for about 6 years now. No problems with it.

When I was last at Home Depot I found that they no longer carry the Intermatic brand, they have an Eaton (Cutler-Hammer) brand and it's about $50. Should be comparable to the Intermatic one.

Originally Posted By: daman

I've had mine for about 6 years now. No problems with it.

When I was last at Home Depot I found that they no longer carry the Intermatic brand, they have an Eaton (Cutler-Hammer) brand and it's about $50. Should be comparable to the Intermatic one.

thanks
thumbsup2.gif

To be excruciatingly code complainant, everything in your breaker box needs to be the same brand as the box. Thus I have a GE Surge Pro that plugs into the main busses like one more double pole breaker. Maybe since the Intermatic goes outside the box, it is OK for any box.

GE only claims to limit pass through voltage to 600 volts, enough to fry your computer, but not enough to fry its surge protector. They guarantee everything in the house that has a secondary surge protector.

I am not to worried about my cable. It goes directly to the cable company's modem, and then to the router I paid $10 for after rebate. From the modem it is ethernet cable I think would vaporize before carrying enough current to hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back