Synthetic FIltering Media/Total Surface Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The RP looks almost identical to the old ACDelco Ultraguard Gold that Champ used to make. In-fact they still make one for the Corvette and one other engine.

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Law
The RP looks almost identical to the old ACDelco Ultraguard Gold that Champ used to make. In-fact they still make one for the Corvette and one other engine.

Johnny, do you think this Royal Purple Oil Filter is overpriced.

Originally Posted By: c3po

Johnny, do you think this Royal Purple Oil Filter is overpriced.

No, you should break even with a Synthetic and RP filter at 12K drain intervals vs a conventional oil and filter at 3K drain intervals. So I do not think it is over priced as you would save the equivalent of the time it takes to do 3 oil changes along with a slight increase in MPG and added engine protection.

I think this Royal Purple Oil Filter that is made by Champ Labs is just a Mobil 1 Oil Filter clone.

The Amsoil EaO Oil Filter media is made by Donaldson and I think this may be superior to anything that is offered out there.

Unless I see some UOA's showing the Royal Purple Oil Filter to be a better filter than the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter, I will stick with the EaO's for now.

I think this Royal Purple Oil Filter that is made by Champ Labs is just a Mobil 1 Oil Filter clone.

Look, at the cut away picture on page 4. There is no way it is a M1 clone. It is very similar to a ACDelco Ultraguard Gold that is also made by Champion Labs.

Look, at the cut away picture on page 4. There is no way it is a M1 clone. It is very similar to a ACDelco Ultraguard Gold that is also made by Champion Labs.

Is this Royal Purple Oil Filter better than the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter. How are both of these oil filters the same and different.

I have never seen a Mobil 1 oil filter cut open but since Champ Labs makes both oil filters I thought they were the same.

RP says their oil filer will filter smaller microns at a grater percentage and they state the holding capacity, while Amsoil claims their holding capacity is Proprietary. They both use a very similar internal design, silicone anti-drainback valve and full synthetic oil filtering element. You would have to purchase one of each for your make and model and disassemble them. I would go with the RP as they do not hid their holding capacity as I stated on the first or second page. Perhaps one of the Amsoil distributors can find out the holding capacity?

Amsoil EaO Oil Filter / Royal Purple Oil Filter / PureONE Filter

98.7% @ 15 microns / 99.5% @ 20 microns / 99.9% @ 20 microns
65% @ 10 microns / 88% @ 10 microns / 92.8% @ 10 micron
50% @ 7 microns / 60% @ 5 microns / 51.3% @ 5 micron

Source is:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post950406

He claims Puro Hot Line said it.

Further comparison...

Purolator Premium PLUS:

97.2% @ 20 microns
90.3% @ 15 microns
70.6% @ 10 microns
30.8% @ 5 microns

So my conclusion is the synthetic advantage could be great holding capacity (longer OCI) at low microns.

I am surprised that the Pure One is showing such good numbers. I have used them in the past but always thought the EaO was a better rated filter.

Is this Royal Purple Oil Filter better than the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter. How are both of these oil filters the same and different.

I have never seen a Mobil 1 oil filter cut open but since Champ Labs makes both oil filters I thought they were the same.

Here is a pic of a Mobil 1 and a RP for the same application cut open.
Mobil 1
Mobil1Parts.jpg

RP
RoyalPurpleParts.jpg

I stand corrected, the Royal Purple Oil Filter's media looks much better than the Mobil 1 Oil Filter's media.

A picture is worth a thousand words, if I had to pick 1 it would be the Royal Purple Oil Filter.

I stand corrected, the Royal Purple Oil Filter's media looks much better than the Mobil 1 Oil Filter's media.

A picture is worth a thousand words, if I had to pick 1 it would be the Royal Purple Oil Filter.

You will see the same style media in:

-Donaldson SYNTEQ
-Fleetguard Stratopore
-AMSOIL EAO

filters.

It is a glass media developed by Donaldson, who I believe was the pioneer of this type of media.

To the original question...

I think it comes down to the fact that most filters never get anywhere close to their holding capacity at a normal 10K mile or less interval. The endcaps and ADBV may be a different story, making metal caps and a silicone valve mandatory. Maybe Amsoil is just capitalizing on this.

The other thing is the synthetic media has more pores for a given size. Less area is taken up by the fiber itself. If the synthetic media has twice (made up) the pores for a given size, why wouldn't it flow better, filter better, and hold more dirt?

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
I am surprised that the Pure One is showing such good numbers. I have used them in the past but always thought the EaO was a better rated filter.

Yea, so did I. I read a post here that referenced the SYNTEQ media to be 50% at 4 micron but could not find the Donaldson media spec. (Johnny's numbers came from Amsoil so I'll take their word.)

If a PureONE is $7.50 and the RP is $15, I think they would be breakeven economically. I would worry about PureONE loading up on extended OCI but feel the RP class could do x2 the PureONE.

The blend media of the M1, I believe, puts it in the same class as PureONE at least in terms of holding capacity (and probably betas).

Last edited:
If the Royal Purple media is the same as the EAO, then theres no reason to go with Amsoil. I tried a very over sized pure one, and found that my oil pressure was much higher than a Fram TG or Napa Gold equivalent.

I have an EAO34 now about $3 more than RP, next time I'm trying the RP.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
To the original question...

I think it comes down to the fact that most filters never get anywhere close to their holding capacity at a normal 10K mile or less interval. The endcaps and ADBV may be a different story, making metal caps and a silicone valve mandatory. Maybe Amsoil is just capitalizing on this.

The other thing is the synthetic media has more pores for a given size. Less area is taken up by the fiber itself. If the synthetic media has twice (made up) the pores for a given size, why wouldn't it flow better, filter better, and hold more dirt?
Amsoil markets to people who aren't really into oil or filters etc . Not to start anything but it is true. The syntech type elements have been in use quite a while and are well proven,that said most users will ever keep their autos long enough or have the ideal operating conditions to ever realize a benefit from the added expense of many of the higher priced items that are purchased..

Will any benefits be realized between the two filters?

At some point the differences that we are seeing between these two is really small in the scheme of things. It might bode well for advertising, but the EaO seems hard to beat. Like steve points out, what real benefit is there in better filtration with the RP for the average user? If it's that important, why not just use a bypass setup?
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back