McLaren's secret weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zulu
Just goes to show how IMPORTANT oil weight is when matching to engine tolerances.
clearances. Tolerances are the amount of deviation allowed in the clearances. For example the clearance is .002+or- .0003 I made up the numbers.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: zulu
Just goes to show how IMPORTANT oil weight is when matching to engine tolerances.
clearances. Tolerances are the amount of deviation allowed in the clearances. For example the clearance is .002+or- .0003 I made up the numbers.

Not picking on you in any way, just to further clarify the tolerance/clearance issue I would like to add. Clearance to spec at .002" and that clearance would have a tolerance (or possible deviation) of +/- (plus or minus) .0003".

Just to add some more info, many times with specs this close the tolerance will not be a +/- it will only be a + or a -, so say a spec at .002" with a tolerance of -.0003". Despite what many people think, if you were to put a metal object in your hand, the heat alone would change the dimension of this made up spec out of tolerance!! I don't know how close these types of engines are built, however the average machine work on cars/engines today is no better than years ago. However the repeatability has advanced leaps, and bounds by CNC, robotics, and general technology advancements, which makes it possible to generate huge numbers of parts/items with machining etc that are all very close to the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back