F1 - 2016 European Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baku, Azerbaijan. Probably not a destination high on most people’s list of places for a new race. Nevertheless, F1 travels to the city on western shore of the Caspian Sea this weekend for the inaugural European Grand Prix. The event has sparked controversy not only due to objections from human rights activists but also its [deliberate] conflict with the 24 Hours of Le Mans which prevents F1 drivers from moonlighting in the endurance classic like Nico Hulkenberg did last year with great success.

McLaren Honda go into the weekend rather bruised from their performance in Canada with one car retired and the other out of the points; this despite an upgraded turbo. Still, it was known that Canada would be tough and so, too, will the Baku City Circuit which is the second only to Spa in length and features very long straights. A double points finish may be a tough ask but the x-factor is that all drivers are learning the track for the first time; perhaps the experience of Button and Alonso will shine through. Either way, the team likely feel that Austria can’t get here soon enough.

Elsewhere on the grid it’s probably safe to say Mercedes isn’t going to be under much threat given the nature of this circuit. However, Ferrari can’t be ruled out where high horsepower is concerned as the Maranello-based squad continues to optimize a new turbo they brought to Canada. Despite good form of late, Red Bull will have to be relegated to wild card status for this one with Williams trying to occupy the same space.

U.S. TV TIMES:
Practice 1, Friday June 17th, 5:00AM EST , NBC Sports Live Extra
Practice 2, Friday June 17th, 9:00AM EST , NBCSN
Practice 3, Saturday June 18th, 6:00AM EST , NBC Sports Live Extra
Qualifying, Saturday June 18th, 9:00AM EST , NBCSN
Race, Sunday June 19th, 8:00AM EST , NBCSN

CURRENT STANDINGS:
Drivers:

1. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 116
2. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 107
3. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 78
Constructors:
1. Mercedes, 223
2. Ferrari, 147
3. Red Bull, 130

Click over to TOV Motorsports for my full post including track data and video!

baku-city-circuit.gif

Originally Posted By: gofast182
...F1 travels to the city on western shore of the Caspian Sea this weekend for the inaugural European Grand Prix.

Being pedantic, this isn't the inaugural European Grand Prix, it is the inaugural grand prix in Baku, that is called (oddly) the European Grand Prix. There have been several European Grands Prix before.

That's a lot of 90-degree turns on that track. Should be good for a lot of passing opportunities. How many DRS zones? I think there could be as many as six.
It's always interesting to see them drive a new circuit.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this track is going to be an A or an F. The race is going to be really good or really bad.

I think it's a great, challenging track.
Baku is a beautiful city.
Should be a great race, if everyone can resist the temptation to attempt any passing in turns 8-12.

The race went all the way without a Safety Car period. Amazing. I hope F1 keeps going there. Interesting venue. Rosberg started on the pole and led every lap.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The race went all the way without a Safety Car period.

Without even a major wreck--couple of cars out from suspension damage (not on camera)

Yes, I was definitely surprised at that. Given the problems during practice and qualification, I thought there would be more trouble. Perhaps drivers were just being more cautious, given the possibility for major trouble if you mess up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back