What about Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
PP seems to be the one of the favored oils on bitog. I was just wondering how many people here use Valvoline Synpower. It seems that it only gets mentioned with regards to Mobil 1's alleged problems and Valvoline's ad.

Valvoline has always been my favorite oil, until I fell for the mobil 1 marketing. I've used it many times with no problems. You can check in the uoa section for it also.

I am not trying to peeve people here, but I imagine that PP current popularity is from the deals on price that you could get. Mobil does not do say BOGO free deals, but if they did I think much less animosity toward them. Similar deal to FRAM , if they were cheaper less haranging on them as well.

I've always ran Synpower in my Jeep with no problems. 140k and it's clean inside. I have to change the oil pan this summer and I'll get pics of the internals.

Quote:
but I imagine that PP current popularity is from the deals on price that you could get.

Scan a bottle of Synpower the next time you go to Kmart/Big K.
56.gif

I do not use 30 grade oils, but from product data sheets and from BITOG UOA's, Synpower 5/10W-30 is a top 30 grade oil.

I had considered blending Synpower 10W-30 with Synpower 20W-50 to get a 30 grade with a 100C cSt of 12.4. Valvoline tech help said the 10W-30 and 20W-50 had different base oils and would not blend well and they suggested I not do it so I took their advice.

I didn't see synpower on the shelf at Wal-Mart last time I stopped by - did they get the boot?

I am thinking the Synpower 20W-50 may have a high PAO content. I don't understand why there would be a problem blending PAO and GP III, but, I am not chemistry minded. May be because of the add packs being so different that it could cause problems.

It may be common to use different base oils for the higher viscosity oils. Pennzoil said they discouraged blending their 15W-50 with 10W-30 because the "base chemistry" were different. Mobil 1 said no blending problems at all between viscosity of same line such as M1 with M1, EP with EP, and HM with HM.

using it right now in my Explorer, I bought it awhile back when it was on sale and decided to run it when it got severely cold, and so far seems to be doing very well.

Using it now in my 05 4.0 Explorer and it seems to be doing just fine. We dont get as cold in Va as some do, but we have had some single digit mornings and the 5w30 turned over just fine.

I used synpower 5w30 in my Dad's Ecotec 2.4, and it made it run more quietly than it ever did on any M1 5w30 or 0w30, or Super Tech Synth 5w30. BTW, MPG hasn't changed by using 0w30 M1, I knew the Florida heat would limit the effectiveness.

I used it in my 2.2 Ecotec and heard and felt no difference when compared to Q-Torque 5w30, PP 5w30, Havoline Synth 5w30, Super tech Synth 5w30, and M1 5w30.

I also used it in mom's Jeep 3.7 SOHC, and felt nor heard any difference between M1 5w30, PP 5w30, and Q-torque 5w30. Currently I run Q-torque 5w20 because I got 15 quarts for $1 each because no Advance Auto Parts buy trusted 5w20 synth! The engine is nosier, but MPG is up .5 in all conditions!

Synpower now meets GM 4718M and has superior cam lobe protection vs Mobil 1. The oil also now contains an improved detergent system containing both Na and Ca, which shows great results in preventing deposits.
thumbsup2.gif
on Synpower.

Running SynPower 0w40 in my 5.8L Bronco right now. I just ask the wife how it's running and she says fine. Good enough for me. LOL

Originally Posted By: Badlees
Running SynPower 0w40 in my 5.8L Bronco right now. I just ask the wife how it's running and she says fine. Good enough for me. LOL

As of this morning I'm running the NAPA version of the SynPower in my Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: Badlees

There's no such product as Synpower 0W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back