L head tecumshe engin a splasher or a pump oil sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have a oil filter? If so then needs pump to circulate oil thru filter. Could be only a plunger type, enough to use on filter or gear pump able to do full pressure lubrication of whole engine.If no filter most likely slinger/splash luber.

Wow, bigsteve 1 more month of time than me and similar posts. Am I trying to hard? Likely you got no pump.

I just took it easy for the first couple of snows.
I don't recall throttling back any, but I may have closed the throttle a bit for those two snows.

Originally Posted By: bigsteve
What is the best way to break in these snowblowers for the first 2 hours. just use them normaly at fast hig rpm, light or deep snow?

I will say this: Tec says to change oil after 2 hours. I changed mine after the first 1.5 hours or so, and watching the old oil drain, it contained lots of fine metallic particles. I would definitely do that first oil change early.

i don't understand the cold start procedure .[start motor on FAST]

Move engine speed control to “FAST” position.
See Figures 21 and 22.
6. Set choke control to “FULL CHOKE” position (see
equipment manufacturer’s instructions). See Figure 24
on page 12. Afterward, continue reading instructions
below.
7. Hold the primer bulb in for one full second each time
you press it. See Figure 23.
• Make sure you cover vent hole with your thumb.

OK..i got it nailed ...Move engine speed control to “FAST” position ...“FULL CHOKE” position ...pressed primer bulb 3 times ...and the TECUMSEH SNOW KING mod. LH358SA started and never stopped ..thank u for the addvice....

i dumped factory fill on 8.5 h.p. snow king after about 40 minutes of running at 1/3 - 1/2 throttle, last year. put in GC, and have used it for about 3 hours since. motor seems to like it, as it starts quickly, and runs well.

Another question I have about the Tecumseh engine is the crank shaft located in the oil pan(below the oil full line)or is it splash lubed like the top end?

Last edited:
These Tecumseh engines are fine machines and can run for many decades. One major problem they do have is they really need to oil level KEPT at the FULL MARK. If you start tossing the machine around (not keeping flat, level) with the oil slightly low, it may starve the slinger and result in the connecting rod failure which these are prone to. Also changing the oil at end of the season, even if only used sporacically, will help you get a long life out of this product. Good Luck!

Bigsteve
To break in your snowblower, run it at full throttle. Snowblow as normal, but if the snow is deep use a lower gear and try not to strain the motor excessivly. Change the oil no later than 2 hours of use, sooner would be better.
As a side not, never run an air cooled small engine at half throttle when under load. Some people have it stuck in their head if they run a lower rpm the engine will last longer. The opposite is true, these engines need to run at full operating rpm for proper splash lubrication and cooling.

Originally Posted By: bigsteve
anyone using German Castrol 0w30 in these engines?

Yes, my 1986 with 8hp L-head seems to like it. No consumption, good starts, no shearing or excessive fouling or other dirty behaviour is evident.

Should a Husqvarna snow blower have a spring on the discharge chute? My 28 inch does not but my friend has a 30 inch snow blower that does have on that connects to the double nuts and a hole on the chute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back