Endurance Race Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're planning to run the 24 Hours of Lemons in Houston in February '09 in an '86 Toyota MR2. It has a newer JDM motor, or so the prior owner says. It's a 1.6L I-4 N/A. Some of these cars have stock oil coolers and some don't, and I'm not sure if ours does or not. If not, we will probably add one prior to the race. This car will be used exclusively on the track. We will probably get in some testing on it before the race, but I don't expect (or need) the oil to last more than 1,500 miles before we change it out. I'm looking for some good suggestions for an endurance racing oil.

To give you an idea about the race, it's held on 2 consecutive days with about 6-7 hours of continuous racing each day, plus usually about 30 minutes to an hour of yellow flag parading before the start of the first day of racing to find leaking cars, etc. Last year the total race time over those two days was 12.5 hours and the winning car did nearly 1100 miles on the 2.4 mile road course.

Clearly we want to maximize HP, but we don't want to blow the motor up in hour 5 just over an extra couple horsepower. Our first goal is to finish the race in running condition, then finish as high as possible. We don't want to be DNF, and we'd like to try to use the car again later in the summer/fall for another event if the body is still in useable condition.

I'm a total racing newb, other than a lifelong fascination with racing. But this is my first time prepping and racing a car (albeit a junker). Given that this particular motor tends to run hot due to its midengine placement, what would be the best oil to run? I'm not opposed to doing an oil change at the end of day one if that would help with the endurance.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I know two Touring Car teams, once uses Redline SAE 40 and the other M1 0w-40. If your oils temps are in check, those two would be great. Since it is an endurance race, maybe German Syntec 0w-30 would be the ticket, my personal choice and the Joest DTM Team did an article on how much they like it. If oil temps are high, Valvoline SynPower 20w-50 is a good 50 weight.

Redline. This is EXACTLY what Redline is built for. They have a very hands on appraoch, so call them, set out you situation, and they'll recommend the best grade for what you'll be doing.

IF you're partial to Amsoil, their new line of Dominator race oils are defintly top-notch products - their 10-30 grade would work well...

Not sure if oil/fluids is included in the Lemons total budget, but see if some local race shops can donate a case of RedLine for the cause...10w-30 or 10w-40 should be great. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion about calling the Redline folks. They were very helpful. They suggested either the 30 weight racing oil or even the 30 weight regular oil. Cheers guys, thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: pmulry
Thanks for the suggestion about calling the Redline folks. They were very helpful. They suggested either the 30 weight racing oil or even the 30 weight regular oil. Cheers guys, thanks for the help.

No Worries!

Good Luck!

Redline 20WT race oil for a little more horsepower. February in Houston is very nice temperature wise. That 1.6L NA engine needs to rev and in my opinion the 30WT race oil is unnecessary.

All are good choices but also consider Amsoil's new Dominator line of racing oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back