Redline fluid in a Nissan CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Redline makes two CVT fluid now. MY 07 Altima uses Nissan's CVT N2 fluid. I called Redline up, and asked if their Non-Slip CVT fluid meets Nissan's spec. The tech person said yes. Here it is.

Redline

My owners manual says to use Nissan N2 fluid only. I know they wrote that so Joe the Plumer doesn't go down to his local Napa and adds Dextron III to the transmission. I woulnd't even think about putting the Redline fluid in if it didn't meet Nissan's spec. The Nissan fluid ranges from $14.95 a quart online + shipping, to over $20.00 at my local dealer. The Redline would be around $14.00 a quart.

The Altima has a drain bolt for the transmission. I have read 5 quarts will drain out. I posted this on my Altima forum. They all said to stick to what the owners manual says. They think I can't use anything else. The owners manual also says to use "Genuine Nissan parts only" all throughout it.

Would you guys risk using the Redline fluid over the Nissan fluid?

Wow, if I were you I would let some of the other people on that Altima forum be your "Guinea Pig" using Redline CVT .
I would not risk damage to that expen$ive CVT trans....

but that just my 2 cents of advice.

I've been waiting for someone else to try it out. The girlfriend's Murano is just about due but I want someone else to try it first.

Soemthing to keep in mind is that Redline doesn't just release a product without doing some serious testing in the vehicle itself. I have never owned a CVT, but understand you need to assure that the proper fluid is utilized. Redline is one of the top synthetic ATF's in the market. That being said, I would use the product with total confidence.

If you have doubts about it, call Dave over at Redline. Very nice and knowledgable guy!

Last edited:
I would not do that. CVTs can be difficult due to variances in design and materials used. It's best to stick to the OEM fluid.

Listen to Whitewolf. He knows more than any of us.
cheers3.gif

Does anyone know if it's the same color as the OEM juice? I sure as heck wouldn't use it while under warranty if it's visibly different than OEM. Also, at $14/qt for the RL, why would you bother? Whelp... at least an aftermarket source is a good thing.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Does anyone know if it's the same color as the OEM juice? I sure as heck wouldn't use it while under warranty if it's visibly different than OEM. Also, at $14/qt for the RL, why would you bother? Whelp... at least an aftermarket source is a good thing.

Joel

With the factory fluid ranging from $15 to $20, why not use a potentially better cheaper fluid?

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Joel

With the factory fluid ranging from $15 to $20, why not use a potentially better cheaper fluid?

Because CVTs are extremely sensitive to the fluid type compared to traditional stepped gear automatics. I would use Amsoil in my Honda automatic, but I wouldn't use anything other than the OE fluid in a CVT.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Joel

Because CVTs are extremely sensitive to the fluid type compared to traditional stepped gear automatics. I would use Amsoil in my Honda automatic, but I wouldn't use anything other than the OE fluid in a CVT.

That's why I said "potentially". I'm not going to be the first lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back