Castrol R4 Superbike 5w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in the mood to send in VOAs lately, I guess I'm just trying to cut through the [censored] about oil for my Raptor 700R that I XC race. This latest sample is Castrol R4 Superbike 5w40. I bought two cases of this stuff about 7 months ago from an internet vendor. I've been using it in my less stressed ATVs and wanted to know if it had what it took to stand up to racing demands. Not bad at all, but I'm confused, never seen this much Magnesium in any oil.

ALUMINUM:0
CHROMIUM:0
IRON:1
COPPER:0
LEAD:1
TIN:0
MOLYBDENUM:1
NICKEL:0
SILVER:0
TITANIUM:0
POTASSIUM:0
BORON:57
SILICON:5
SODIUM:0
CALCIUM:677
MAGNESIUM:1339
PHOSPHORUS:1003
ZINC:1244
BARIUM:0
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C:12.27
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F:67.4
Flashpoint in °F:430

I have at least two more VOAs I want to do. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

For some reason, many of the blenders of designated motorcycle oils opt for relatively high magnesium levels and relatively low calcium levels. Why?

save the money on the voa's and go buy gallon jugs of SuperTech 15w40 at chinamart. the ci-4 version.

have you been west over to Barnwell mtn?

Originally Posted By: sunruh
have you been west over to Barnwell mtn?

Oh yes, spent many days at Barnwell Mtn, just love it. We had a race there back in September, great place for a XC race. Before I got into ATV racing, I had a rock-crawling Jeep. Barnwell Mtn was practically our backyard, my kids grew up there. Lots of good times passed.

Do you visit Barnwell Mtn?

Originally Posted By: sunruh
so this oil starts out as a 30wt???

nice!

40wt -> 12.5cst 68.2863 susvis

Yeah I noticed that, wasn't sure of the exact cut-off, but I knew it came in on the thin side of a 40wt. It does work well in my not-race-stressed quads though.

Thanks for posting this. I'd wondered about this oil, or more precisely, the 10w50 grade. I imagine the add packs are similar.

This is the older green bottle stuff, only available in 5w40 that I know of. I was pleased to see that a 10w50 was available in the newer version of this oil. When I use-up my stash of this I may give the 10w50 a try. For what it's worth, this oil is made it Italy...got love Castrol's global supply chain.

Who would make an oil in Italy? Agip?

Agip is a good guess.

this might be a decent cold weather oil, but i'd probably pick Castrol Syntec 0w30 instead.

i'd be interested to see what a 2-3 hour uoa would show.

i raced both of the GNCC's at barnwell in '04 and '05 and did the national enduro there last year ('07).
i did poorly in 04 and very good in 05 and awesome in 07.
vastly different terrain than what i have down here.

Where is Cedar Park?

I heard the GNCCs there were brutal; climbing some nasty hills. Our race in September wasn't as bad, a couple scary decents and Clyde's Ravine had an interesting off camber area, but it was negotiable at slower speeds, just couldn't blast through it. BTW, I race with the ATVCCS. We have a race up in Muenster, Tx this weekend, I'm excited already.

I've thought to give GC a try in my Raptor. I run it in my vehicles and have run it in my Suzuki Ozark that my wife mostly babies around. I wanted to see how the Raptor responds to a 30w oil, but not this 30w oil. I've been looking at the Maxima 530MX and wanting to try it. Have any info on that oil?

next to austin.

in 04 there was a hill that was slick, nasty and coverd with leaves. i was doing well, but behind some dufus that stopped.
i then could not go up, nor down. i pushed my bike up it. almost puked and then semi-finish. a guy that got second told me, "i saw you pushing your bike up". i had been there for a little while when he saw me pushing.
lets just say it was a "character builder".
we went up Saturday Night Live this year.

05 was much better. we went down Saturday Night Live that year.

07 enduro was easy for me as i knew what to expect.

RRDR is pretty good. i dont like the elevator shaft area, but the rest is nice.

nope, not on 530mx. but the maxima 4 extra is primo stuff. especially the 15w50. upper upper top of the list.

Do you have any experience with Elf Sport 4 Campione? That's the last oil on my "wish list" to try. It is a 10w60 PAO oil and I've been happy with Elf oils in other applications.

never tried any elf oil.

4 ultra would be nice to try.
honestly i would not have much confidence in a 5w40 or 5w50 staying in grade. however, if any brand of oil would, i would bet on maxima.

i would LOVE to try the 0w10, but at $17 per liter i think i'll pass.
at that price i can get 2gallons of ST or SRT. enough for 6 changes and yet 1L wont do a single.

Hi sunruh,
I did a search on Maxima and is very stout.I am considering to use it just for fortyfying a weaker oil I have left in the garage,it is mixable without a problem I think.

Seems like a pretty good oil. Mag. is used as a detergent, as opposed to Ca. in this mix. Might work better as a detergent in bike apps., as opposed to car apps.

Its obviously a very thin 40-weight. Considering that most bikes shear down oil, I'm assuming this would become a mid-to-low 30 weight in no time. I'm wondering why they don't make it a bit thicker, so it stays a thick 30 weight, at least.

Hi addguy,I believe it is their way to present the product to the market.Since it is a race oil it should (maybe)be a bit on the thin side,so to be in class (for the sticker on the bottle),but thin.For example,take a look at this:
http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/9.pdf,
50wt and 60wt are a bit over the lower limit of their weight class.
Is there not really a difference between a 40wt cSt/100c=16.2999
and a 50wt cSt/100c=16.3000001 other than the error of the Viscosity measuring machine or a ticket on a bottle.

Yeh, I ran that oil for near 40,000 mile in my dual sport, I wish the 10w50 was availabe at the time, it was 10w50 grade in the U.K.

I imagine, they changed the viscosity here because of no owners manuals recommending 5w40.

That's the real stuff though , its not some carrier oil like mobil1 ,but pure synthetic poa

mobil1 still has a crude smell, that stuff pure plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back