Motul Gear 300 75W90 in Honda SiR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Civic SiR Hatchback (EP3 body) with a K20A3 engine. I picked up some Motul Gear 300 for cheap and was thinking of using it in the transmission, but it has a GL-4 and GL-5 Rating on the container. Will this hurt anything to run it in the transmission or is it new enough that it wont cause any harm?

Are you sure that your Honda states to use 75w90?

Every Acura RSX I ever worked on called for Honda Syncromesh fluid, a special oil with a viscosity significantly lower than 75w90.

However if your manual states to use 75w90, oil that is approved for both GL-4 and GL-5 will not harm anything, but it will not be ideal.

Well the weighting shouldn't have much to do with it. Honda's use equivalent of 10W40 or 75W90 weights, which is why a ton of people use GM Syncromesh versus MTL from Honda.

Copied right from this site:
Quote:
A synchromesh GL4 Manual Transmission Lubricant (MTL) can be any viscosity from 7.0 cSt (ATF equivalent viscosity) to a 75W90 type viscosity of approx. 14.5 cSt, and contains special friction modification additives for synchronizer assembly engagement.

The Motul has all the friction modifiers in it to help with synchronizer movement. I'm just concerned with the GL-5 ratings.

But thank you for the response.

Last edited:
98 - You copied something from this site, not from Honda.
It has a dubious lineage that may or may not be accurate.

As concerning the GL5 rating of your new sauce, it also states GL4 - which means it is buffered and should not harm your yellow metals in the trans. It may even provide a bit better protection for gears and bearings.
I would not expect it to shift perfectly, especially in cold conditions.
But it may be just fine. You said it was fiction modified for synchros, so this is great.

FWIW Gear 300 has a VI of 222, so it has a lower visc at 0*C than a number of 75W-85's with a hot visc of around 15cst @ 100*C.
Now how shear stable it's VII's are...... (but I really want to try it
grin2.gif
)

I have 2002 - 2003 FSM for the Civic Hatchback and I confirmed that the transaxle requires Honda MTF or equivalent.

98CoupeSi, I would NOT use a 75W90 in a Honda FWD tranny ... especially in Canada. Their requirement is more like 70W80. Stick with Red Line MTL, Honda MTF or Amsoil MTF.

I just got two quarts of Amsoil MTF for my 2006 LX ... it's going in later this month or early November.

Oh, and to completely answer your original question:

" ... it has a GL-4 and GL-5 Rating on the container. Will this hurt anything to run it in the transmission or is it new enough that it wont cause any harm?"

If it says GL4, it should be fine for yellow metals. I just think it's too thick for your application ... and I'm on my 3rd FWD Honda.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll just run it in my Mazda then and stick with the MTL Honda stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back