New Oilfields?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Those are not free market activities. By your logic, we should nationalize everything.
smirk2.gif

I remember you complain about the poor voting out the rich based on "market activity" in another post. There should be some regulation to make sure that things are reasonable for the overall good of the society. Let's see:

Let the market activity decide what drug is allowed rather than letting FDA approve it, if only a fraction of people die, then we'd say it is good enough.

Let the market activity decide what auto industry should do, get rid of airbags and let them use cheap brakes that can fade stopping from 60-0, market force will make sure the accident rates will be "good enough"

Let the market activity decide what high school education can charge, get rid of free education. Some people will drop out, let the parents that have enough money to buy their kids education, we will no longer have underfunded school. This will guarantee us cheap labor that can compete with China and keep the job here. Plus we will have enough poor people to depress the consumption and imports, lower labor cost, reduce government spending, etc. Perfect way to solve our problem.

Our population is getting too old, let market activity get rid of the population that are too expensive and cannot afford health care of their own, and put them to sleep (will probably happen to you some day too). Reduce health care cost to 0 and perfect way to save the day again.

Let market activity decide everything for you, you are probably going to be living like a Mexican labor down under, without education, without health care, without future.

Unless you are born with the wealth and didn't get a single "entitlement" like public education, or receive a single government service like health care (since when is health care a payout rather than a service), you are also collecting payout indirectly.

Quote:
So who decides what % of these econobox cars get put on the road and the associated subsidies that go along with them? What government subsidized programs have had good long term effect. Nearly none.
What you are suggesting is a nationalization of the car industry by proxy, and people will not be able to buy the cars they want and can afford. If people buy more car than they can afford, that is their problem.
Why not apply this strategy to everything made in this country that the Government considers "bad"?

Let's see: Internet used to be a subsidized research from the military that bear fruit, your food price was low the last couple decade because of government subsidization, your car/truck has the mpg of today instead of 13mpg (actually, I'd imagine since you are a big hater of small car, you probably has one that got 13mpg). You haven't died of cancer because government regulates the limits of various harmful chemicals in the products you use everyday.

I didn't say outlaw every non small car out there (read my suggestion carefully!!!!!)

I'd say a system that everyone else is using out there (including Japan) that favor small car. If you have enough dough, you can still buy whatever you want.

Unless if you don't have enough dough and want one, and complains that government is taking away your choice that you can barely afford (or cannot afford) due to your mentality of "entitlement", that you say the low income has in regarding to payout and welfare.

Last edited:
Quote:
I remember you complain about the poor voting out the rich based on "market activity" in another post.

How interesting as I don't?
21.gif
Did you mean "out voting"?

FDA and breaks/air bags are a safety issue. I have never said anything about reasonable regulation on these things.
Education gets an excellent ROI to the tax payer.
Quote:
let market activity get rid of the population that are too expensive and cannot afford health care of their own

Exactly. Maybe parents will have a much greater interest in taking care of their children and seeing they do well if they know that the gov. will not be there to catch them no matter their activities?
Quote:
I didn't say outlaw every non small car out there (read my suggestion carefully!!!!!)

Not saying that you did. I said that the supply of larger vehicles will not meet the demand for them due to market interference.

Originally Posted By: XS650

But you see, Gary, those were the glory days to some people.

apocalypsekilgore17bdebrm1.jpg

You know .....someday this war is going to end ....
frown.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Quote:
The first time a market driven country was established, it became the dominant world power in mearly 150 years, and was a major player even before that.

I hope that you don't attribute this to the USA. I'd like to offer that WWII made this nation a global big boy more than any tenet of economics. In the inverted view, being the big bruiser surely enhanced market forces in a concentrated area that happens to reside within our borders.

I think you can see the difference between the two positions.

Quote:
I'd like to offer that WWII made this nation a global big boy more than any tenet of economics.

The US was a major player in the world long before WWII, we just didn't get involved in things "across the pond" much at that time. If we weren't, the Japanese would have left us alone.

The end of WWII did cement us as a super power.

It made the U$D king. Hard to not amass global wealth with a globe in ashes and you having some ungodly over capacity for heavy manufacturing.

Very simple. Without WWII, we never would be in this position.

Let's put it this way, wages peaked at about 1973. We were in a depression for a good part before the war ..and the middle class emerged after WWII.

Now how far back do you want to go to say we were a "major player"? Surely we had resources and whatnot ..blahblahblah ..but the proof of that pivotal event is clearly depicted in how the AMERICAN PEOPLE benefited in standard of living and in terms of real wealth as a nation.

Last edited:
Quote:
Without WWII, we never would be in this position.

After WWI (when a good portion of the world was also in ashes) we simply adopted a isolationist stance. We chose not to get involved with the League of Nations and said foreign matters were "their problem." This posture eventually lead to the depression and the military build up and expansion of Germany, which emboldened Hitler to make his ultimate move.

We were enough of a potential threat that the Japanese wanted to take us out of the fray with a hard, first strike. They, like many others, grossly underestimated our response.

Going into our current posture would probably violate board rules.

Seen it all before. And with those links, you are justifying the Japanese attack on us because we embargoed their oil supply from our own country? Some here have said that going to war for oil is a bad thing.
crackmeup2.gif

The rational in those links makes no sense. If we are supplying 80% of their oil and most of their metal, what makes them think that attacking us will make us supply more?

Also according to those links, the US was THE largest supplier of oil in world at the time. That made us a major player in any sense.

But oil didn't mean much except for the war effort to the rest of the world.

Oz was running cars, trucks and busses on charcoal gas.

Quote:
But oil didn't mean much except for the war effort to the rest of the world.

Exactly. If you can't field your armies, then you don't have a country.

Quote:
Never mind

What fun is that?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back