Mitsubishi gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

A co-worker of mine has a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4x4, 3.0L, auto with ~130Kmi on it. He purchased it brand-new and has followed the manual to a "T" for service. It developed a huge gas leak recently. As it turns out, the top of the fuel tank is badly rusted out around the sending unit and leaking heavily from the return line area. EVAP codes are present of course. Here's where it gets interesting. It's been at his local, trusted (independant) shop for over a week. As far as we can tell, a replacement gas tank for this vehicle is non existent! We've tried every available source we can think of; Junk yards, dealer, specialty shops, internet, etc... Nada, nothing, zilch! I know we chat often about how disgustingly complicated today's vehicles are, how difficult and expensive it can be to source parts, but this is ridiculous. If you can't find a gas tank for this truck, imagine how it would be for lots of other stuff as time goes on?! There's a lot to be said in purchasing an "every day Joe", big brand, mass produced vehicle. Buy one of the 'quality' smaller guys and look where you wind up. Any ideas for a gas tank?

Joel

LOL.gif
Ask and thou shalt receive! Thanks.

Joel

Then clean it take off any rust and clean it again then rust proof it.

Good grief a gas tank leaking.

Ken

we never have that problem here. what is the reason the dealer is giving for not being available? are the parts just on backorder or did they discontinue them? they should be available for 10 years, however some manufacturers only make them available for 6 years.

Originally Posted By: Ken42
Then clean it take off any rust and clean it again then rust proof it.

Good grief a gas tank leaking.

Ken

smirk2.gif
Yeah, that will fill the big gaping holes in the top of the tank.

bdcardinal, yes- from what I understand the dealer claims it's discontinued.

Joel

Last edited:
He wound up keeping the Montero Sport, but purchased a new Corolla for he and his wife's DD. The shop that's got his Montero is going to get him a tank from car-part.com.

Joel

Is that what the rest of the world calls a Pajero? You might get more success using that name.I work for a Mitsubishi dealer,and haven't seen a rusted out fuel tank....and being in dairy country we see them coated solid in mud and cow poo often,and no rot.We get our parts in days from Japan - Mitsubishi has it's own used parts division,they dismantle new vehicles and sell the parts....they must be rejects,prototypes etc,they are new used parts.I would say your dealer is not just trying hard enough.

Originally Posted By: Silk
But I think there are a lot more Pajero's in the world than the same vehicle called another name....

Agreed. I think the issue is; The ones for sale in the States need to be OBDII compliant and the "Sport" (different from just 'Montero') model got to be kind of a rare beast around here.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back