Best Oil for new 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I want to thank everyone for their advice so far. I do plan on doing a couple of changes before my first 5000mi. It sounds like the Motorcraft blend will be pretty good to use at least while I am under warranty.I don't plan on running the dog*** out of it,but I will run it hard on occasion(how can you not with this car)!
Whimsey,I highly recommend this car for you and your wife. I have a 69 Mach 1 at home that I show and this is the first body style that I have really liked since the 64-73 era. It really feels and looks like a musclecar and is a lot of fun to drive. My wife loves it too even though it has been years since she drove a stick.

Why not follow OEM recomended weight and filter.

I have never understood why people use oil weight other than what OEM recomends for a new vehicle.

I do understand a different weight use on a 5 yr+ car with higher miles.

My '01 GMarq and '96 Crown Vic has used MoCraft FL820-S filters with no problems and only cost $3.

I have been running MoCraft 5-20 in the GMarq and 5-30 in the CV.

MoCraft Syn Blend is hard to beat at around $1.50/qt (made by Conoco).

I'm switching though at next OCI's to M1 using the B3G3 free coupons from PepBoys.

If you run MoCraft you are looking at $12 oil changes that meets OEM requirements. This is excellent for 5000 mile OCI's.

Use the B3G3 free coupon and you are looking at right under $20 for top of the line M1 oil and MoCraft filter. Either use 0-20 or the new 5-20 M1. From looking at this site and others, I will be very comfortable using 6-8k mile OCI's with the M1 when I convert.

Good luck with your oil adventures and your new GT.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I recommend.............5-20 because (according to AeHaas and others) because "it runs cooler than heavier weight oils meaning less friction and therefore, less wear".

Dr. T has been persuaded!
lol.gif
Be one with the Borg. Thinner is better. Resistance is futile.
grin.gif

right click and save as:

http://www.dantheoilman.com/modular.xls

That's a spreadsheet of most of the modular motor UOA here on the board. I took out a few that were clearly break-in or just plain bad that would really skew the results.

Free feel to draw your own conclusions on whether or not you want 5w20 or 5w30.

I for the life of me can't understand why anybody who just spent some serious $$$ on a new car, would use anything other than what is required by the warranty and recommended in the manual. I think Ford may have an idea of what works in their vehicles. So from where I sit, the Motorcraft 5w20 blend and filters are a no brainer.

quote:

Originally posted by 3putter:
[QB] I for the life of me can't understand why anybody who just spent some serious $$$ on a new car, would use anything other than what is required by the warranty and recommended in the manual. [QB]

Honestly do you really believe this?

You don't think for a minute that a car company is going to spec the lowest grade that meets the tested expatations, and that a better product could possibly give better performance.

An auto manufacture will spec out "their" oil to the lowest bidder, as in the fact that FORD or MOTORCRAFT does not make oils, then only relable something from another manufacture.

Hi,this is my first post and was wondering which oil is best for my new GT. I have the 4.6 which Ford calls for 5W-20. I am leaning toward the synthetics since the engine is new and I would like to keep it clean. The manual says to change at 5000mi intervals. I honestly have never used synthetic before but would like to start with this car. Is Mobil One a good choice? Also Motorcraft blend is recommended in the manual,what do all of you experts think? Motorcraft filter?

Welcome! I think most here including myself think motorcraft blend is a good oil. Motorcraft filters are also very good. That said if it were my car. I would use either Amsoil 5w30 or Mobil1 5w30. I think 5w20 is to thin. It my be good enough but I want best for my vehicals. As for filters I like Amsoil, baldwin, mobil1 or K&N.

Yea if you plan on keeping the car for a while then Mobil1 5w30 will be great for it.
As for filters just about anything but fram will do it seems. Motorcraft, stp, purolator, wix, etc...

I recommend.............5-20 because (according to AeHaas and others) because "it runs cooler than heavier weight oils meaning less friction and therefore, less wear".

Feel free to correct me if wrong....

welcome.gif

Congrats on the new car. My wife is strongly hinting about getting one
rolleyes.gif
. Since you have a warranty you have to prove that you changed the oil at least every 5,000 miles and used a Ford approved oil. Though that part is debatable as long as you don't use some ridiculously thick oil (flame proof shorts on
grin.gif
)you should be fine. It'll really be up to the dealer and the Ford rep if you have engine problems and did not use a Ford spec'd oil as to whether they give you a hard time. The Motorcraft 5W-20 oil has shown very good UOA's especially when used in the Ford Modular engines. Although there are many other fine 5W-20's out there also. I feel more it's more important to do at least a couple if not several oil changes before 5,000 miles to clean your engine out and establish a good clean base to carry on from. Especially since the Ford factory oil doesn't seem to be anything special for breakin. After 5,000 miles if you want to use a synthetic you'll still have to change it every 5,000 miles during the warranty anyway. It's up to you whether to spend the extra money for your "comfort factor" . For 5,000 mile oil changes, with "normal" driving the Motorcraft and other 5W-20's did real good, check in the UOA forum. In fact it seems that Mobil's new line of "dino" oils are now group III's at a bargain price. Check them out. After your warranty expires you can run longer oil change intervals with synthetics and hopefully get your money's worth. Of course if you intend to beat the cr*p out of the Mustang then I'd look for a hearty synthetic for the 5,000 mile oil change, after doing the 2 to 3 oil changes with dino before you reach 5,000 miles. Best of luck with your car. Patman wants to race you
grin.gif

Whimsey

Honestly, I would stick with the Motorcraft 5W-20 oil and the Motorcraft FL820S filters. Both products are top notch and will keep your car in great shape.

Then, when it's out of warranty, if you are still wanting to use synthetics, go with Mobil 1, Royal Purple, GC, AMSOIL, etc., but stay with the Motorcraft filters. You won't find a better filter for the same money or twice as much.

what about the Pennzoil Platinum? I have searched the forums and haven't found much. What has been the best full synthetic 5w20/0w20 oil?

The motorcraft filters and the CP made 5w20 Motorcraft oil..Awesome combination for an excellent price. That is a nice car, almost got one but my wife doesn't like cars.

thanks, I know that the MC 5w20 is great. But I would like great full syn. I currently run Mobil1 5w20 syn but it makes the engine a little noisy. Redline is great but that oil is roughly 9.00 a quart. Royal Purple or Pennzoil PLatinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back