Best Oil for new 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I would run a Synthetic 5W30, almost any kind would do. My personal choice is the Valvoline Synpower 5W30, but a Castrol Syntec or Mobil1-EP would work fine too. I know that 5W-20 is recommended, but a stout 5W-30 isn't going to kill it or kill fuel economy, and it would give me peace of mind knowing its well protected. It's not like 5W-30 is "thick" either.
smile.gif
Just my $0.03

these cars are sensitive to the weight of oil, because of the valve timing unit is set for 5w20

I have a 05 Mustang GT and use Mobil 1 5w20 and a Motorcraft FL820s oil filter. I drive the car hard and so far have had no problems. I also started using 6oz of VSOT with each oil change. On some of the S197 Forums, using a higher viscosity oil can cause problems with the VVT. These engines are speced for over 70psi of oil pressure at 2000rpm with 5w20. One member built a forged short block and used a Cobra DOHC oil pump and found out that the oil pressure was too LOW for the VVT to function properly. He had to pull the engine and replace the pump with a stocker. IMHO, any 5w20 syn. would work very well in this application.

change your oil at 500 miles use motor craft oil then go another 1000 miles change oil and then use 5w30 redline synthetic. the very best synthetic oil....use motorcraft filters, or wix..

I change my oil even with syn every 3000 miles. Yeah that is overkill, but it is piece of mind for me. So I am not going to spend 9.00 a quart for redline. Yes redline is a great oil and I use it in every tranny and diff that I have had. It comes down to Mobil1, Royal Purple, or Pennzoil Platinum for the engine. I want to use 5w20.

motorcraft 5w-20 and motorcraft filters is what id use in your shoes. congrats and good luck with that fine automobile
cheers.gif

I also have a 2005 GT Mustang, which I just took for a trip from Florida to Texas and back. Too much fun blowing slowpokes off the road when the need arose
smile.gif

All posters above offer good advise. I, too, was skeptical about 5W-20, but am enjoying a very smooth running and (relatively) economical engine using Redline 5W-20. It's much quieter on startup as far as valvetrain noise is concerned than when I used M1. On my trip, I got 28 MPG when going 65-70, although it did drop down to 25 MPG when going 80-85. Can't complain about that, though.

Use a good quality 5W-20, whether it be a mainsteam brand like Motorcraft or M1, or like me, a premium brand like Redline. I love my 'Stang, and I'm sure you love yours...

quote:

Mobil 1 5w30 is probably just as thin as as the Motorcraft Blend 5w20.

Nope. The latest M1 5w30 is thick. 11.3cst.

I would definately use 5W20 as Ford recommends. Motorcraft blend has shown excellent UOAs. Some of the experienced members on this board have stated that the new Penz platinum might be a good contender. Valvoline full syn has also earned praise from some board regulars. If it were mine, I would do this.

OC at 1k with Motorcraft 5W20
OC at 3k with MC5w20 with UOA and interpret by Terry Dyson.
OC at 6k with MC5w20.
OC at 9k with MC5w20.
OC at 12k with MC5w20.
By now your engine should be good an clean. So, I would go 5k and do a UOA at 18k. Then I would try my favorite Syn. M1, Platinum, Valvoline? They see how it does compared to MC with a 5k OCI.

I would break it in/flush out the fines on MC 5W-20 & MC filters. Then I would run it on Pennz. Plat. 5W-20 and MC/Wix/M1 EP filters or if you want overkill an Amsoil EaO filter. I would consider an Amsoil Ea air filter at your first air filter change. Does anyone have any experience/data as far as air filters are concerned for the 3 valves per motors yet (don't know what Ford's code/gen name is for this motor)??

well if you had to pick one

mobil1 5w20, Royal Purple 5w20, or pennzoil platinum 5w20.

Uh, YES!!!

All are good and have seen Royal Purple pickup a mile a gallon or two on multiple vehicles that Mobil or Pennzoil could not duplicate. However All are very good.

quote:

Originally posted by 3putter:
I for the life of me can't understand why anybody who just spent some serious $$$ on a new car, would use anything other than what is required by the warranty and recommended in the manual. I think Ford may have an idea of what works in their vehicles. So from where I sit, the Motorcraft 5w20 blend and filters are a no brainer.

Well not everything they say is for the best. If so, I would be doing ~15k oil changes with BMW 5w30 (castrol blend) in our 325iT. I would rather stick with GC and 7.5k oil changes
smile.gif

I think any of the oils listed below are good choices:

Motorcraft 5w-20

Mobil 1 5W-20

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20

Redline Oil 5W-20

The Motorcraft is a bargain, and the Redline is likely the best for spirited driving.

I've used the Motorcraft 5W-20 in a 2002 Ford Escape at 4500 mile intervals and it is a good 'synthetic' blend oil for cheap.

I've used Mobil 1 0W-20 and 5W-20 in our 2004 Honda 2.4 liter Element at 7 K intervals and it has worked great.

I have some Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and it is probably excellent .... but I haven't used it yet.

Motorcraft oil filters are a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back