Honda Accord Manual Transmission Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to:
Poster: RTexasF

"There is a recent TSB on every 6 speed manual in the Honda lineup."

I know about it. It's Service Bulletin 08-020 April 12, 2008. Unfortunately it concerns third gear only. The stated cause is "a faulty 3rd gear sychronizer or 3-4 shift sleeve". And as you say it involves about 10 hours of labour.

Interestingly they don't specify the special M/T Fluid.

The dealership did know about it. They referred to known problems with third gear.

Close but no cigar - I don't think it helps me.

Thanks everyone for your comments. It seems most of you:

1) Think crawling down a steep hill in first gear at 2000 RPM is reasonable.

2) Don't think a transmission jumping out of gear is acceptable.

3) Think Honda should fix the transmission.

That's what I think too. Any more thoughts and comments welcome.

The ironic thing is that I bought this car because I liked the way it drove but also because of Honda's famed reliability. And I bought it with a manual transmission because I like manual transmissions and also because, though I keep my cars for a long time, I've never had trouble with one before.

2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT
2000 BMW 528i 5MT Sport

I think you are being very reasonable with your car, nothing you've done should be causing this problem. It's unfortunate that an otherwise nice car has such a bad problem with it's tranny. I'd push Honda more to fix this thing. Who cares what a TSB singles out or that they replaced your transmission? Let's face it, your car's transmission doesn't work how it should and they apparently 'fixed' your original transmission with a faulty one. What a deal! Push 'em harder and don't let up.

Clark

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
We'd be crucifying GM if this was their vehicle....

You got that right. I've owned several manuals...Ford mostly. None of them have ever popped out of gear.

I don't mind rapping Honda for this. I don't know what it is about them and transmissions. Last time I was at the Honda dealer I had to sit and watch an obviously not too well off young lady cry here eyes out because her Honda's autobox took a poop just out of warranty and the dealer was telling her it was going to be over $1k to repair. I know all vehicles can have tranny problems sooner or later, but Honda just isn't living right.

I haven't heard of any 5 speed auto troubles lately. So maybe they got that fixed.

A friend of mine bought a used 2001 Honda Civic because he thought it'd be reliable.

The autobox [censored] out and I believe he spent $2500 to get it fixed.

Honda transmissions suck! 99-03 5 spd automatics and 03-08 6 spd manual beware. Seems that Honda has issues adding extra gears to transmissions. (Previous 4 spd auto and 5 spd manual are OK)

Engines are bulletproof but they can't design a solid transmission to save their life. Wasn't always this way, only recently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I don't mind rapping Honda for this. I don't know what it is about them and transmissions. Last time I was at the Honda dealer I had to sit and watch an obviously not too well off young lady cry here eyes out because her Honda's autobox took a poop just out of warranty and the dealer was telling her it was going to be over $1k to repair. I know all vehicles can have tranny problems sooner or later, but Honda just isn't living right.

I haven't heard of any 5 speed auto troubles lately. So maybe they got that fixed.

It's kind of her own fault that she went into the shop unprepared. If it was just out of warranty, the repair should have been covered 100%. Honda is known to cover transmission repairs well past warranty expiration (try 130k, as an example).

Yep. I found this out, too. I went into the dealer unaware of the issues affecting CR-V a/c compressors. I assumed I had done the damage myself (which, I may have contributed). I had to foot the bill for a new compressor, only to have it go out and Honda replace the entire system for free. But had I gone in knowing Honda was fixing a/c out of warranty, I would have been $1000 richer.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Yep. I found this out, too. I went into the dealer unaware of the issues affecting CR-V a/c compressors. I assumed I had done the damage myself (which, I may have contributed). I had to foot the bill for a new compressor, only to have it go out and Honda replace the entire system for free. But had I gone in knowing Honda was fixing a/c out of warranty, I would have been $1000 richer.

It isn't too late to get your money back...

If I could have bought an Accord for the price I paid for my Mazda 6 I would have leapt at it and then peed my paints.... Mostly because of Honda's reliability reputation. It just goes to show you, all cars are fallible.

ecotourist,

What are the coordinates of the hill you crawl down in first gear? I want to try it too.

In response to Yuk

"What are the coordinates of the hill you crawl down in first gear?"

It's the Walterdale Hill in Edmonton (the hill from 109th Street down to the Walterdale bridge), a major route into downtown Edmonton. In normal traffic conditions I go down that hill in 3rd gear with almost no braking.

The only times it's happened have been on that hill, when the air temperature was low (though the car is well warmed up by that point) and it's had the stock Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires on. For some reason it has never happened with winter tires on - which may be a coincidence, or maybe not. It could be that these tires have a very low rolling resistance and can build up enough speed and therefore torque to pop it out of gear.

Interestingly all the Honda reports concerning transmissions popping out of gear mention low temperatures - which is definitely the case here.

The dealer was going to try duplicating the problem with another V6 6MT Accord Sedan over the winter but all they did was ask other owners if they had problems - and none were aware of any.

One of my friends has an Acura TL which has a similar size V6, also with a 6MT. It stays in gear down that hill. Honda says that doesn't count because the TL has a different suspension.

FWIW the 6MT is said to be a low problem transmission. But it was only offered for one year in the Accord Sedan. I wonder if the heavier sedan has identified a problem that doesn't occur in the lighter coupes. And I wonder if all those supposedly trouble-free 6MT Sedans would pop out of gear under the same conditions. If I didn't have that hill on the way to work I'd think the new transmission was wonderful too.

By the way, aside from the transmission problems, I like the car a lot. Rides nice, handles well, there's room for four adults and it gets decent mileage.

2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT
2000 BMW 528i 5MT Sport

This is a mechanical problem in the tranny.
NOT a driver or fluid problem.
Hang in there and keep calling higher and higher in the food chain. Make noise and commotion, and don't stop.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

The 2001 Civic is a lemon in many aspects.

Yea, we changed out the stereo for an old Kenwood I had laying around because the OE CD player had problems ejecting CDs. Guess what, the OE CD player had been replaced once already because it had a manufacture date of 2003. Plus the headlight wiring burned up and he ended up running it through a relay to take the load off the multifunction switch, which is how it should have been from the factory.

All in all, it's been quite a POS for a vehicle that cost $10k with 100k miles on it.

If I had a car that was under warranty and couldn't stay in gear when descending a hill at just 2,000 RPM, I would be back at the dealer until the transmission was replaced.

I often stay in 2nd or 3rd and coast down steep hills, sometimes at 3000-4000 RPM in my Cherokee, never popped out of gear once.

Yep,

My mom's 2001 Civic had her instrument cluster go out and none of the gauges work. She just has to remember not to run out of gas. The dealer wanted $850 to replace it, I said no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back