A stuck Ford stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with pulling a factory Ford stereo that is stuck in the dash? I tried using the DIN tools but I'm afraid the side lock springs are locked so the unit isnt coming out without a fight. Any tips besides taking the center console out to remove it from the back?

The only way I can think of is the dash panel around the stack come off and it's just four screws that hold the DIN brackets onto the side of the deck and you will possibly have side access to compress the spings and pull the [censored] out.

Yeah I'm hoping one of the Contour guys can tell me where the hidden dash screws are so I can do it myself and not pay a place to do it.

have you put the DIN tools in all the way? If you don't get them in all the way you won't release the side lock springs.

The Ford radios can be a PITA to get out. Trying pushing em in a bit further and wiggling them around while pulling. Leave it to Ford to need a goofy special tool just to pull the radio.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Yeah I'm hoping one of the Contour guys can tell me where the hidden dash screws are so I can do it myself and not pay a place to do it.

There aren't any screws, it's just snapped in. If this is a Contour with a din pocket below the radio, the piece between the radio and the din pocket needs to be removed first otherwise you may break it.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
The Ford radios can be a PITA to get out. Trying pushing em in a bit further and wiggling them around while pulling. Leave it to Ford to need a goofy special tool just to pull the radio.

Those "goofy special tools" have long been a standard for removing DIN stereos(Saab and VW used them, among others..saw a Hyundai in Germany that use them too), even aftermarket ones (before someone came up with "ISO" mounting, anyway). Oh, and why did we need ISO mounting? Because Honda and Toyota didn't want to use DIN! I wish they did, the faceplate dimensions on DIN stereos are larger than on ISO stereos by a good 1/4" in all directions. As a result, however, we are stuck with aftermarket units that have tiny buttons and displays with a "trim ring" to take up the extra space.

Last edited:
Why are there multiple standards for anything.

IIRC, DIN is sourced in Europe, so it makes sense that a Ford with European roots will use DIN and cars with Japanese roots will not use DIN.

I didn't remove the radio in my 1996 Contour, but did in my newer ones, the 1999 and 1998 that I owned. The removal tool had to go in all the way to pull the radio out.

I don't recall removing anything prior to removing the radio, but that was probably 8 years ago, so my knowledge is getting foggy.

Is this the radio with 1/8" holes at each corner? The tool has to be inserted to a certain depth (not too shallow, not too deep), then maybe bent slightly inward to push back the clips.

All Ford vehicles switched over to DIN sometime in the mid 80s, even my 1988 Mustang is DIN. Heavy-duty (Peterbilt/Freightliner/etc) truck stereos have been DIN for a long time too.

The only time I ever had a problem getting a DIN stereo out that used this type of removal tool, it was a Mazda that someone had tried to pry the radio out (it was in a u-pull-it yard) and they managed to bend the spring clips so far that the tool wouldn't catch them. The spring clips used on the Ford stereos seem to be thick enough that this wouldn't happen, the ones Mazda used are thinner.

Incidentally, for a long time I had a Mazda AM/FM/CD player in my Mustang, and a Freightliner AM/FM/CD Sirius unit made by Delco in my Contour (I got it and the Sirius tuner unit for $25 off Ebay). All of these use the same removal tool and mount in the same size hole. I love standards.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Is this the radio with 1/8" holes at each corner? The tool has to be inserted to a certain depth (not too shallow, not too deep), then maybe bent slightly inward to push back the clips.

It is and you are correct...push the tool in till you feel it "click". It should sort of lock into place. Alternatively, push the tool in about 2 inches and then slowly pull back on it till you feel it lock. Then you're good, now pull the tools apart (outwards, away from each other) while pulling on them.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Anyone have experience with pulling a factory Ford stereo that is stuck in the dash? I tried using the DIN tools but I'm afraid the side lock springs are locked so the unit isnt coming out without a fight. Any tips besides taking the center console out to remove it from the back?

What style DIN? Double DINs (4 holes, one in each corner) couldn't be easier. Like said, pop in a U-shaped fork on each side of the head-unit, pull them apart slightly and pull out at the same time. Don't pull the HU out too far since the wiring will only 'stretch' so far. It's a very clean and non-invasive system.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

I WISH all other car manufacturers followed what Ford did and used those goofy little tools. At least you don't have to disassemble the entire dash just to get to the radio. Just use the tools and it pops right out. Unlike my Honda, where I had to remove the entire center console to get at 2 vertical screws under the dash. I'll take the goofy Ford stereo any day. To the original poster, don't be afraid to yank and wiggle it (within reason) sometimes those stereos need a little convincing before they want to come out, especially if it hasn't been removed in years.

Originally Posted By: widman
I will bet you can find radio thieves who can get it out in 20 seconds or less.

They often don't bother with OEM stereos here, although that apparently is not the case elsewhere...

Mercedes has the same design.

I made the proper tool for the Ford radios. Essentially take two 8" sections of 1/8" dowel rod, bend each in the middle to make a "U". Mark each tip at 1" depth. This is how far the tool will need to be inserted for proper engagement. Spread them apart (thanks JTK), and pull. Like exranger mentioned, these rods may not have enough friction to extract the radio, so you may have to find a way to get some purchase on the radio and coax the unit out.

I never met a Ford stereo I liked. I pulled the one out of my T-bird, and the one out of my son's Contour with four small screwdrivers. You may have to move the screwdrivers in or out, but they usually come out without much of a fuss.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Wiggle the removal tools a little more and it will come out.

This baby is simply not coming out the front. I wiggle the tools and wiggle the unit and nothing is budging. To test the tools I popped my girlfriends Focus stereo and it almost jumped out of the dash. There is something funky about this Contour stereo being stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back