Quick GM-6094M Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i happened to be at the store today and passed by the oil and i noticed that the pennzoil bottle didn't have the spec so i look at the GTX bottle and sure enough it was there. my question is, do all manufacturers meet it because i only see it on the sopus syn bottles but not the dino bottles yet i refer to GM-6094M and its a bit old but its the newest one i can find but i notice that most all manufacturers are listed and they are all GF-4 so do most GF-4 oils meet the GM spec? i know its an older spec also i just want to know

This is from the tech sheet on yellow bottle Pennzoil. Says it meets that spec on 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30.

ADVANCED PROTECTION MULTI-GRADE MOTOR OILS

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
PENNZOIL® ADVANCED PROTECTION MOTOR OIL delivers better engine protection than is required by ILSAC GF-4
or API SM and is specially formulated to provide extra protection against the harmful effects of stop-and-go driving and high
and low-temperature engine operation.

APPLICATION
PENNZOIL® ADVANCED PROTECTION MOTOR OIL is recommended for passenger cars, light-duty trucks, vans and
sport utility vehicles that are fueled with gasoline (including turbocharged). PENNZOIL® ADVANCED PROTECTION
MOTOR OIL SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30 exceed the demanding requirements of International Lubricant
Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) GF-4. ILSAC GF-4 comprises the latest standard for passenger car, van,
light truck and sport utility vehicles (SUV’s) engine oils. It surpasses the performance requirements of API SM Service
Classification.

PENNZOIL® ADVANCED PROTECTION MOTOR OIL 10W-40 and 20W-50 are recommended for older engines for
which the owner's manual recommends API SM or prior API Service Classifications or any combination thereof.

Viscosity recommendations vary according to temperature and engine manufacturer. For most new cars (ca 1993 and later),
API Certified oils displaying the “starburst” symbol (indicating an ILSAC GF-4, ILSAC GF-3 or GF-2 requirement) are
recommended. Some PENNZOIL® ADVANCED PROTECTION MOTOR OIL grades also meets the Ford WSS-M2C153-
H and WSS-M2C930-A specification (SAE 5W-20 only) and the GM 6094M (SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30 only)
specification. Always consult your owner's manual for the correct viscosity choice.

BENEFITS
• Specially formulated for stop and go driving
• Keeps you engine clean for long service
• Resists breakdown for high temperature performance
• Low-friction formula helps improve gas mileage (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30)
• Exceeds the highest U.S. standards for automotive engine wear protection
• Protects engines under severe driving conditions and prolongs engine life
• Exceeds API SM Service Classification (all grades)
• Exceeds manufacturers' U.S. warranty requirements
• Meets and exceeds ILSAC GF-4, GF 3 and GF 2 requirements (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30)
Meets WSS-M2C930-A (SAE 5W-20) and WSS-M2C929-A (SAE 5W-30)
• Meets DaimlerChrysler DC 6395N (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
• Meets GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)

GM 6094M is an ILSAC GF-4/API SM oil that has a cold pumpability of 40,000 cPat -35 for 5W-30/5W-20, 50,000 at -30 for 10W-30, or 30,000 at -40 for 0W-30. Typically it only applies to 5W-30 oils.

It's an old spec that GM didn't care about until the new low volatility GF-4 oils came out and had poorer cold pumpability performance than their SJ predecessors.

Look at spec sheets, look at bottles, or look at the date it is made. If it is old stock GF-3/SL it may not have it on the bottle.

ok i was just wondering cause i am going to get a silverado w/4.8 and i live in az so will any sm oil do then for it(i will prob use pennz or GTX

Quote:
and i live in az so will any sm oil do then for it

Yup, use any SM rated oil you prefer, they'll all be fine.

As MG pointed out, the GM6094M is just a specification for a little lower cold pumpability in extremely cold weather (like around … -30C/-22F) than what the standard SM rating specifies. It's just not really an important specification at all -- and for the weather you're likely to encounter in Arizona, it's basically next to completely irrelevant.

04.gif

It's the hurdle GM makes Castrol jump to keep GTX in spec.

If GTX failed to pass the spec in May, I would figure that it might be there for a reason.

If you look, a lot of high mileage oils also do not meet 6094M.

In fact, the HM oils do meet GM6094M, it's just not printed on the bottle. It is listed on the data sheets. And if you look at the actual tested MRV numbers, they all are around 15,000 to 20,000 cP - half the limit for GM6094M.

I checked several manufacturer websites. The only manufacturer I found claiming that their HM oil meets GM6094M is Mobil. And that agrees with GMs published GM6094M approval list.

MaxLife 5W-30 and 10W-30 would pass by rights of their performance and being GF-4. They are just not registered. If GM tried to deny warranty coverage for some reason using this oil, I think you would have strong grounds to say it is better or equal to what is required.

Pennzoil High Mileage is not GF-4, but would pass the cold test.

Mobil 1 High Mileage does not because it is an SL oil. Mobil Clean High Mileage is SM/GF-4 and beats the cold pumpability requirement so it is GF-4.

The only grade of Castrol GTX that passes 6094M is the 5W-30.

It's not that it is a hard test to pass, it's just a simple matter of being a SM/GF-4 oil that meets the requirements. Castrol, when they were selling Magnatec as GTX Start-Up had a whole line that met the 6094M requirement but they discontinued it.

Ah, I was wrong. Both are listed at the minimum requirement for 6094M, the rest are listed at the minimum requirement for the API grade.

Yeah, it has, but GM stopped requiring it for a while. In 2004, with SM oils, they changed the requirements of it to be SM/GF-4 and the same cold pump limits and reintroduced it as a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back