transmission fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has an 02 bmw 325 with the steptronic tranny. It has 86k miles on it and have read mixed opinions on the beemer site about changing it. Some say the mileage is too high and it will do more harm than good and other say to change it. It supposedly has "lifetime" fluid in it that should never be changed according to bmw(maybe thats why they have so many problems with them). It has never been changed so I was curious if I should do it or not. I dont think making a lifetime fluid is possible.

If you are going to keep the car, change it for sure. Amsoil ATF is an excellent replacement fluid and works great in these units. Maxlife ATF is a very good fluid and works well, too and at less than half the price of the Amsoil ATF. I have used the Amsoil for more than 100k miles in these units with no problems to report. My local trans builder is the one who recommended it to me, saying that they found it is better than the factory fluid and less expensive.

No fluid is a lifetime fluid, especially if you want to extend that life to 200k or 300k miles.

Do you have the ZF or the GM 5L40E transmission?

If it's the GM one, you can use Dexron-VI. Go underneath the vehicle and check.

86,000 miles isn't even that many miles for the fluid. OEMs regularly test the transmission to well over 100,000 miles on the original oil fill under severe service in their validation tests.

The GM one is, in my experience, the one that should be serviced sooner rather than later. GM (Strousburg, France) transmissions consistently produce more "stuff" such as clutch material in the pan vs the ZF units. I have not yet tried DexVI in the GM's. Where did you see this recommended? I dont't doubt that it would work very well, and Dex VI would fall right in the middle, cost-wise, between the other 2 fluids I mentioned above, and so would be another option available for at least the GM units.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Where did you see this recommended? I dont't doubt that it would work very well, and Dex VI would fall right in the middle, cost-wise, between the other 2 fluids I mentioned above, and so would be another option available for at least the GM units.

It isn't about price, it's about using the correct fluid.

The GM 5L40E was used in the CTS. The 06 and 07 models use Dexron-VI.

Quote:
LOW MAINTENANCE

The unique assembly procedure aids the long-term durability of the Hydra-Matic 5L40. No maintenance is required and there is an elimination of any potential contaminants entering the transmission since it is assembled in a “clean room,” which was the first of its kind for transmission assembly. In addition, the components are not inserted into the case, which is conventional assembly practice, but the case is slid over the assembled components with visual sensors monitoring parts alignments and component quality. The Hydra-Matic 5L40 uses the new DEXRON® VI fluid and is filled for life, requiring no maintenance. The fluid is added at the transmission plant eliminating the chance of contamination at the vehicle assembly sites.

Trust an automakers 'validation testing'????

Its never too late to flush a transmission and it will only do good to do so.

Find the type and fluid required from the service manual, and use it or an equivalent.

Until an automaker defines 'lifetime', the word should not be believed in.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am not sure which tranny it has so I guess I need to get under it and see if I can figure it out.

It's probably the GM 4L30E. They were used in 1990's BMW 3-series, Isuzu rodeo, trooper, etc, and Caddie Catera. If it's got a 'big pan' and a 'little pan', it's a 4L30E. The small pan is for the 4th gear (OD) adapter housing. I've never known one to fail from an ATF change. They do tend to run hot and/or go neglected due to the lack of ATF dipstick and the manufacturers "lifetime" spec.

Joel

Last edited:
I am going to have to put it on some ramps. I cant get under it. It does have the steptronic(auto/manual) tranny and is a 5 speed.

Change the fluid. You can do several drain and refills, each within 20~500 miles. Do 4-7 drain and refills with Amsoil ATF. Or you can find a trusty shop to flush the transmission with Amsoil ATF. Make sure they clean the system first with a quart or two of the new fluid you bring to make sure there isn't any fluid from another vehicle serviced left in the system. This would mean you have to buy a few extra quarts over top of what your tranmission specs. I would also advise to change the filter if applicable and clean the pan. Make sure to use OEM BMW parts for the new seals around the pan. Amsoil ATF is the way to go.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back