Zymol Cleaner Wax Z-503

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of Zaino, but I was able to pickup a bottle of the Zymol at a discount store for $7. I thought I'd give it a shot this fall when I apply my pre-winter wax (I have 4 vehicles). Any thoughts on this or tips? Thanks!
12.gif

If I was going to go to all the effort of applying a carnauba wax, I would clean the paint's surface with clay bar kit first.

It's made by Turtle Wax per a marketing/distribution agreement with Zymol. Look at the back label closely; if it says "Chicago, IL", its a TW product. Basically, not much different than any other TW cleaner wax available on store shelves today. It used to sell for $20, but $7 is more like its real value.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
It's made by Turtle Wax per a marketing/distribution agreement with Zymol. Look at the back label closely; if it says "Chicago, IL", its a TW product. Basically, not much different than any other TW cleaner wax available on store shelves today.

It seems pretty different than the Carnauba Cleaner Wax that TW sells in tubs/bottles. It's blue, smells different, and has a different user experience.

I never understood people who hate on products because of who makes them vs what's in the bottle.

Any carnauba wax isn't going to last a long time, simply because carnauba wax doesn't bond to the paint/form a cross linked polymer film, and it softens at reasonable temperatures. If you want a long lasting wax, you need something like Turtle Wax Ice, or Nu Finish.

The Zymol wax will last longer if you use a QD/Spray wax with carnauba wax in it to help maintain the wax layer. E.g Armor-all ultrashine detailer spray.

Color and fragrance are the two easiest (and cheapest) elements to change in a car care product. User experiences can't be quantified and are different for everyone. My user experience with "Zurtle Wax" was not impressive.

While I agree in principle about product hate, product quality/performance is virtually impossible for the average consumer to determine just by reading the bottle. The industry is filled with misinformation and misleading claims.

Any wax will last longer if a booster of some kind is applied. Problem is the user cannot tell if it's their wax providing protection, or the booster product. Its like proclaiming a new diet has helped you lose weight, while not disclosing the fact that you are exercising, too.

As for the Zymol cleaner wax, I was involved in a large wax test in 2001. The product was a poor performer against almost 50 other waxes tested. IIRC, its only strength was availability; back then this product was being sold everywhere.

My advice is for the OP to try the Zymol Wax, and see if he likes it. Given that's its been on the market for so many years, Zymol and their partner Turtle Wax must be doing something right with it.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
Given that's its been on the market for so many years, Zymol and their partner Turtle Wax must be doing something right with it.

A lot of snake oils have been on the market for many years too, & they are doing something right. The flaw in your logic is assuming that what they are doing right is of benefit to me. It could just as well be harmful but that doesn't mean it won't stay on the market & may even be successful.

I do feel like I have to chime in here because I have tried all the other Turtle Wax products and none of them came close to the ability of the Zymol cleaner wax in terms of hiding fine scratches, heck it even removes some contaminants because some of that "dust" is actually kaolin clay in suspension, so I suspect it also acts as a fine polish since I could swear it was removing scratches. So I can also say that Zymol isn't just a rebottle because nothing in Turtle Wax's inventory acts like Zymol, but TW's new ICE liquid clay seems to have the same properties as Zymol minus the wax.

But where I differ in opinion is that there are better products that are readily available. Meguiars NXT wax comes to mind. You can usually find it in Walmart or your local auto store at about the same price as the zymol. Both hide scratches just as well and last about as long, only a couple weeks protection though.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
A lot of snake oils have been on the market for many years too, & they are doing something right. The flaw in your logic is assuming that what they are doing right is of benefit to me. It could just as well be harmful but that doesn't mean it won't stay on the market & may even be successful.

Now you have to deal with the relative likelihood of Zymol Z-503 Cleaner Wax lasting on the market for as long as it has under conditions of

1.) It is a [censored] product which doesn't work.

2.) It is a good product which does work.

It's just much more likely that condition #2 is the true state of reality.

Don't see what the fuss is all about. I love the stuff. I've been using Zymol products for a few years now and am extremely satisfied with their line of products, especially with Zymol cleaner wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back