ZRX1200 Mobil 1 10w40 4T Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jeff78
A...
I'd guess that thickening is more common with non shared sump big Twins because these engines tend to be air cooled (correct me if I'm wrong) and thus run hotter. The greater heat causes more oxidation, and not having a transmission means little or no shear to knock the viscosity down some.

Its got nothing to do with the engine or the heat which many UOAs with other oils that I post (and others) prove.

It has to do with Mobil 1 and Amsoil, whatever the issues are (or are not) with their motorcycle specific oils no one has been able to explain. Except maybe they are designed for shared sump bikes in order to maintain shift quality, if they were no name oils everyone would trash them in these forums for thickening up but since they have a name brand ... well ... I and everyone else does not know.

Its clear no other oils behave this way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Its got nothing to do with the engine or the heat which many UOAs with other oils that I post (and others) prove.

It has to do with Mobil 1 and Amsoil, whatever the issues are (or are not) with their motorcycle specific oils no one has been able to explain.

Heat causes oxidative thickening, and different oils have different volatilities and thus susceptibility to this. So if you put a higher volatility oil (perhaps Mobil 1 and Amsoil fall into this category) into a hot running air cooled big Twin, you'll see thickening over the OCI as the lighter components of the oil evaporate off.

On the other hand, put in some less volatile oil in that same big Twin, and you may not see it thicken as much (or at all).

Unless I've missed some UOA links, I haven't seen those same oils thicken in something like a shared sump liquid cooled Multi. So this explanation seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I am curious, I just noticed your last UOA was Mystik 15/50 and I am curious of your impressions in a shared sump bike.
It seems to have done just as well and better then the Mobile 1, as well then the others in your report when looking at the mileage of the oils, if taking into account the viscosity Mystik held it. Mystik is a semi and Mobile a full syn.

As you must well know Mystik is the only oil I use in my Road King I normally am not a "brand" type of guy but its not a shared sump bike as most in here and only HDEO oil available with a 50.
Just curious of your impression, even among shared sump bikes different makes will behave differently with the same oil types.

Sorry I didn't see this particular post. I think the oil did fine. I only ran it for 3200 miles vs just over 4600. It was the UOA's on this site that led me to try it. Started using oil all of the sudden, and changed it "early". Part of an oil control ring was stuck to the drain plug. New block and pistons later, the 10W40 4T was my first oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back