ZF8 aftermarket pan kit by Autotecnica

JTK

I'm currently just shy of 54K miles on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic, hemi, with the 8HP70 transmission. Once I get beyond 60K miles I plan to do a pan drop and fluid change on it. I had to order a new serpentine belt for my daughter's 2015 Nissan Versa and spotted these AutoTecnica CY1214647PRM aluminum pans on RockAuto for $85.79, so I threw it in the cart. I've seen them elsewhere for ~$130+.

They look pretty decent. The gasket sits in a groove cast around the perimeter and the filter is replaceable. It comes with a replacement magnetic drain plug. The thing that's got me kind of freaked out is there are no magnets aside from the one on the drain plug.

As you can see, I took all the T-30 screws out to see what the filter looked like.

GwBIDjjl.jpg

FueXxXll.jpg

RQs332gl.jpg

vRfwB5Cl.jpg

sIBX7Cfl.jpg

YpMdedol.jpg

VtBn9oel.jpg

K3OvyBAl.jpg

5AbJ3BFl.jpg

4B8oLOkl.jpg

Uro and Autotechnica are absolute garbage parts in the euro car repair realm. I personally wouldnt use that pan. We have a no Uro or Autotechnica rule in our shop

They seem to be like Dorman for Euro cars/parts. Is that accurate? :unsure:

Most Dorman parts suck, but their transmission pans are great. Maybe URO/Autotechnica pans might be ok too?

To me it's your standard aftermarket pan.

I've read of plenty of ZF8 owners using
When the time comes, I'll see how it goes. The slightest fitment issue or leakage and it's junk.

Hey guys
Long time browser first time posting. I thought this info would be relevant for someone looking at this pan.
So I just purchased and installed the AUTOTECNICA pan from rock auto. With the first pan everything looked ok so I installed it in a 2014 jeep grand Cherokee with MAXLIFE. Well I couldn't get it to stop leaking oil, I adjusted and re torqued the bolts 3 times and every time I let it set over night their would be a small puddle of oil under the jeep. After looking closer I realized their were small pin holes and cracks around the bolt bosses for the filter bolts. On a side note I notice on the scanner that the oil pressure was now inconsistent as if it was sucking air. I contacted rock auto and they sent me a replacement. When the new one arrived I pulled the filter first thing, Something I should have done on the first one. I found one of the filter bolts were broken, I also found that the filter had been installed crooked causing it to overlap the o-ring which would undoubtedly cause it to suck air, And worst of all the cover plate for the filter had not been cleaned up so it had casting sprues around the ejection pins and intake port for the transmission which were basically loose pieces of aluminum foil after the filter. After getting that all cleaned up and fixed, I went ahead and filled the filter bolt holes with RTV before installing. Well one of the holes in the new pan was large enough that RTV squeezed out the back side of the pan.
I did go ahead and install it because I needed the vehicle and am confident I fixed the problems. However, I caution anyone who has or is planning on purchasing this pan. Because the problems I found would likely damage a transmission if not found and fixed.

Also one thing I neglected to mention, when I installed the first pan and filled it with oil the first time in order to run it thru the gears, I received a check engine light with a code that read parking pawl could not be released. I was able to clear it and it did not return. When installing the second pan I checked and their is no way that the pan could interfere with the parking pawl so I have to assume one of those aluminum shavings got sucked up into the valve body and blocked a port. I just hope it diden't / dosent cause any more issues.

So far with the new pan pressures are stable and temps are good and it drives normal.
Fingers crossed.
Sorry for the long first post. and thanks for the info I obtained on this forum about max life, Considering I ended up changing it twice in one week it definitely was the better option.

Last edited:
I ordered a Dorman pan for my wife's Durango. The autotecnica pan was delivered. The seller said the Dorman pan was backordered and I needed to get the fluid changed so I accepted a partial refund and put the pan on. Bad decision! As you can see in the picture it was a bad casting. Fluid leaking through the metal. Had to find a new pan locally, fortunately the local Advance auto had a Dorman pan in stock.
IMG_20231118_114738158.jpg

I ordered a Dorman pan for my wife's Durango. The autotecnica pan was delivered. The seller said the Dorman pan was backordered and I needed to get the fluid changed so I accepted a partial refund and put the pan on. Bad decision! As you can see in the picture it was a bad casting. Fluid leaking through the metal. Had to find a new pan locally, fortunately the local Advance auto had a Dorman pan in stock.
View attachment 189218
This is good info, thanks! I'm sure not the most fun thing to perform this twice.

The company that sold the pan in the first place (Newparts, Inc) is being difficult. I told them about the defect and they are asking for a written report from the certified mechanic who installed it. First they pull a bait and switch and don't notify me or try to refund the difference until I contact them, now they are being difficult in refunding the money for this defective pan.

The company that sold the pan in the first place (Newparts, Inc) is being difficult. I told them about the defect and they are asking for a written report from the certified mechanic who installed it. First they pull a bait and switch and don't notify me or try to refund the difference until I contact them, now they are being difficult in refunding the money for this defective pan.

That is a bummer. What did the pan kit cost you? I didn't even attempt to return mine to RockAuto, if it was even possible. When I sold the pan kit on eBay, I got $30 for it and probably net around $10.

Last edited:
Well, the listing was for a Dorman pan at Walmart (rockauto was out of stock) was $195. After the refund it worked out to $134. Still waiting for this to play out. They accepted my description as I installed myself. I have to give them the Vin now for some reason.

Back